aftermarket spin on oil filter kits and pump pressure

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

aftermarket spin on oil filter kits and pump pressure

Post by kbart1 »

can anybody offer any advice or cautions regarding using one of those oil filter adapters that allow you to use automotive style spin on filters? i like the idea of them but am worried about restricting my oil flow in ANY way. if i were to install one of them has anyone found the correct filter part # that works best for our bikes? or, is the stock system using the Honda filter the best way to go?

second to that. i saw a post where Preston had an oil pump test bench and shimmed a pump to up the oil pressure generated. i am sure shimming the pump would not be an issue but bench testing it would be. does anyone offer this service of sending in your pump and having it tested and brought up to spec pressures? i installed a gauge on my '81 and show about +/-60psi at 4k RPM when warm. that is assuming the gauge i bought on e-bay is accurate???? FYI i am running amsoil 10-40 oil.

thanks a lot!
Kent

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: aftermarket spin on oil filter kits and pump pressure

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Kent, they sell them at Randakks'.
I would contact them directly for any concerns/info.
http://www.randakks.com/Engine%20Parts.htm

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

To your 2nd question Kent, I am sure you are aware that to remove the oil pump, you need to split the engine crankcase.

But more to your point:
If your oil pressure with the engine cold is higher than the ~60 PSI you say you get hot at 4K RPM, then for all intents and purposes your pump bypass valve (which sets its maximum pressure) opens at a higher pressure, most likely the one you see when cold.
What I am trying to say here is that if your cold pressure is higher than 60 PSI, no shimming will increase what you get at 4K RPM with the engine hot. A different kind of oil may be ...

In my Z I get 78 PSI every time I start the bike from cold, regardless of the type of oil used, and this makes me think this is the pressure at which my pump will begin to open open its bypass valve. Then, as the bike warms up and the oil thins out, the pressure gradually goes down. It will eventually settle at around 60 PSI to 65 PSI at 4K, which I think is quite acceptable for my engine.

Cheers, Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

kbart1 wrote:i saw a post where Preston had an oil pump test bench and shimmed a pump to up the oil pressure generated. i am sure shimming the pump would not be an issue but bench testing it would be. does anyone offer this service of sending in your pump and having it tested and brought up to spec pressures?
Preston offers to do exactly that. See his YouTube vid?

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”