Reusing gaskets

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Reusing gaskets

Post by Kool_Biker »

Someone, I think it was Dave, recently offered a tip on how to reuse gaskets like the clutch cover and gear selector cover ones, which tend to break in many pieces the first time you try to undo the cover.
Was it wetting them with engine oil before initial application, or was it smearing with non setting sealant, I cannot remember.
Any tip would help. It is silly to damage these hard to get and expensive parts every time you want to remove a cover, and for no reason.
Thanks, Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Reusing gaskets

Post by daves79x »

Aris:
Don't think it was me that commented on the subject, but I've had good luck removing covers for quite a while after installation of new gaskets just installing them dry. I suppose using something like Hylomar would help and not hurt anything. But hopefully you won't be taking anything apart after this rebuild!

Dave

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Reusing gaskets

Post by Kool_Biker »

daves79x wrote: But hopefully you won't be taking anything apart after this rebuild!

Dave
Not sure how to respond to your very kind comment Dave, other than to say: 'wishful thinking'. But thank you kindly.
In any case the bike is a couple of days from hitting the road and all (once more) will be revealed :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
P1120398 (1).jpg
Aris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”