Ignition Timing

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Ignition Timing

Post by SteveG »

Hello!

My stock (except for K&N airfilter) 82 has always ran like a champ. Pulls clean to redline, idles smooth, and is all around great to ride. She has always done a bit of pinging when lugging (2500 k rpm) and really hot out (both engine and air temps)(easily controlled by a simple downshift), but lately it seems to be more than before. Even when using Sunoco 93 the pinging seems to be more than before.

I have checked the timing (static) over the years, and it has always been spot on. I am contemplating retarding the timing a "smidge". Just move the plate a "tad" (like those technical terms?) clockwise.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks, Steve

Where I am now:

82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Ignition Timing

Post by SteveG »

Hello!

Still looking for some input on if retarding the timing a little will help reduce pinging, or should I be looking at other options?

Thanks!

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Ignition Timing

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Between the oldham couplers wearing, oldham coupler slots in the cams being off center and the cam chain stretch, don't be afraid to retard the timing a bit.

Where does the ignition get it's drive from?

Where do the pistons get their drive from?

The cams are getting their drive from a stretched long assed chain connected to a sloppy two piece cam.

So the vales are lagging behind while the rest of the engine is basically staying the same.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”