Clutch Friction Plates

Ed Townsend
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Clutch Friction Plates

Post by Ed Townsend »

I disassembled the clutch on my recently acquired 79 (BTW thanks for the advice on the swingarm needle bearing kit - went in without a hitch) in an effort to find the source of the rattling. I've read here that some replace the early basket with a later one. The gear/basket assembly seems very tightly riveted with no play/looseness at all so I thought I'd reuse it. I calipered the lined clutch plates and they check out at .135"; the manual calls out service limit at .120" so as long as its apart I'll replace them. I found some at PartsNMore and they call out 7 plates with one number and a single plate with another. What's the difference?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The clutch consists of 7 plates (metal) and 7 discs "A" and one disc "B" which are friction discs. The disc "B" is the one located on the "top" of the pack against the "clutch center". It has a slightly different dimension.

Reason for installing a "later model" clutch is not looseness in the assembly, but the fact that the later clutches have metal spring torsion dampers and the early ones have rubber blocks. Rubber ages, hardens and makes clutch noisy.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”