Slow return to idle

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Slow return to idle

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Ola folks, I figured I'd move this question over here & try my luck.
Hopefully, you can all save me wasting my time by pointing me in the right direction.
The problem is a slow return to idle .
The bike starts fine, idles well, but as the operating temps rise, so do the revs. I have my idle speed adjuster backed out completely after 5 min. run time ( though it must be adjusted correctly for the, cold, motor to hold it's idle ).
When I exit the highway and get to a stop light, the revs are 1,500 or higher. Strange thing is, if I 'kill' the motor ( with the switch) momentarily, the idle drops significantly. Similarly, if I feed out the clutch ( momentarily ) ,while holding the brakes, the idle drops.
Initially, I was thinking of checking my synch, but now I'm thinking that, perhaps, my mechanical spark advance unit is slow to return . I looked at it, quickly, and it doesn't seem to be binding. I'm uncertain as to how different operating temps may affect it.
I should mention that my fueling/throttle response is excellent ( at all speed ranges, under different loads ). The bike doesn't backfire, or otherwise misbehave. The plugs look great. Throttle cables properly adjusted, and not binding.
Is anyone aware of spark advance unit issue ( my bike is an '82 ) and/or does my problem seem more influenced by poor synch?
Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Slow return to idle

Post by NobleHops »

It's got pod filters, right?

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

I'll bet on a meticulous carb sync...

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Yup, Nils, pods.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Choke cable holding choke closed slightly or most likely carb sync. Or some still-plugged idle circuits.

Dave

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Choke cable holding choke closed slightly....
I thought of that too, Dave. But there's all kinds of slack in the choke linkage when its off. I was thinking that, maybe, I'de adjusted the fast idle linkage too high. In the end, it doesn't seem to be the case.
I figure I'll hook up the vacuume gauges tomorrow & see what sort of readings they give me.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Well, who knew that the motor could be so heavily influened by carb balance, huh?
That's all it was. It's not like they were out of spec all that much. True, they all needed adjustment, but only a bit.BIG difference. And, my Suzuki balancing tool did an excellent job. I figure that the previous, poor jetting, issues wouldn't allow for proper readings from the gauge.
For those of you playing along at home, this marks the final piece of the puzzle. That's it, nothing left to do now but ride the wheels off it.
I've a fair length ride this weekend, the 'X' and I are off to get acquainted 8)

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Great to hear you got that sorted.
Any chance of an on-board clip of one of your jaunts. I would love to hear it run through the gears.

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

thanks for a great build thread(s). Facinating to track you solving one challenge after another. I learned alot from your project. Here's hoping you enjoy the ride now!! She's a beautiful ride. What have you named her?
/r
Brad

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Any chance of an on-board clip of one of your jaunts. I would love to hear it run through the gears.
Stay tuned, Cadet. I have a few ideas that might be up soon.
thanks for a great build thread(s). Facinating to track you solving one challenge after another. I learned alot from your project. Here's hoping you enjoy the ride now!! She's a beautiful ride. What have you named her?
Thanks, Brad, nice comment to make.Though, just cruising around this board, it's hard not to pick up some useful info. Soooo many talented/knowledgeable folks 8)
Named her yet, nope. Any suggestions ?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Excellent job on the bike and equally excellent story to go with it. Gives us all inspiration to do something more. Threads of projects like this keep the forum going. Thanks for contributing!

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Skip the onboard video, have someone follow you with the video camera and how about taking the bike to a bike night and vid people's reaction to it, post it up here.

Have fun.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Good idea, Jeff.
And call your buds at Cycle Canada. It's Showcase time again.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”