New problem....

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: New problem....

Post by bikeymikey748 »

What Larry just posted made me think, what about heat seizure? Rohit, did you set the ring end gap to spec?
A quick look with a borescope could be usefull. Look for galling on the bores.

Rohit
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Rohit »

"A quick look with a borescope could be usefull. Look for galling on the bores."
Thanks to everyone for replies..,,
Sir can you pls tell me how to look with a bore scope.... And what do you mean by "Look for galling on the bores".....
Thanks

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Rohit,a borescope is like a flexible periscope that you pass through the spark plug hole. It allows you to see inside the cylinder, in your case, you'll want to pay attention to the cylinder walls. Look for scoring/galling (scraping). Note too, if you see any indication of,localised, overheating on the walls. I sure hope you don't.
Two stroke motors are known for 'heat seizures'. Sometimes, on newly rebuilt motors, rings ( that didn't have their end gaps set to spec) expand quickly and lock in the bores. At times, they micro-weld to the walls. The welds are quickly fractured, and leave behind tell-tale scoring.Typically, the pistons will eventually lock in place. Shortly after, as the cylinders cool and parts can contract slightly, some clearance returns. The motor will start, overheat,lock, and cool....the process repeats again. This will only go on so long before the pistons/rings lock permanently.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”