Prolink clutch basket repairing

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Prolink clutch basket repairing

Post by piit »

Hi,

A lot of clutch related discussions ongoing in this forum, that´s only good.
I have prolink clutch in my -79. The clutch have at least 150 000km in counter and makes some idle rattle especially when engine is hot. I want to get rid of it
or at least try it.
Prolink clutch basket has 3 rivets and 6 springs. If I remember right many if not all of springs in my clutch basket are moving freely in "hole". In my opinion the springs should be very tight in "hole" to do planned thing properly. Questions:
- is there damping rubbers under the rivets? If yes, are those similar to early model rubbers?
- Can you recommend new springs to be replaced?

Cheers,
Pete

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Prolink clutch basket repairing

Post by piit »

Confirmed today by Bert (SixCenter) there is no damping rubbers with rivets only springs.
-piit-

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The springs are torsion springs and dampen the clutch basket. They are the same kind of springs you see in a friction plate in an automotive clutch. They should indeed sit very tight. Any slack will cause rattle.
I have never seen a Prolink basket with loose springs, however. Maybe the sign of the end of the useful life.

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

Thanks! Seems that loose springs case is not unknown. I think I will get quite easily the new springs.
Wondering that who will be the first to start re-produce the PL clutch baskets or even some new innovation?
What happened couple years ago with 6-2 pipes was very welcome from CBXer point of view.

Cheers,
Petri

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

Managed to do this rebuild couple of days ago. I "documented" what I did, please see attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Thanks much, Petri. Great documentation. Very nice work! It's members such as you that make this club so good.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

Thanks Larry. It was easy to documented. Hopefully it will help people in the future...sooner or later the PL clutch basket will need repair as well.

-piit-

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Excellent work Piit. Well done!
Going forward, we need to become more and more self sufficient with our bikes.
Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

patzx12
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by patzx12 »

What about grafting in a Blackbird or Hayabusa clutch basket onto the CBX primary gear? it should be easy enough.
The action could be converted to hydraulic or cable. its something i have been thinking about doing.
I i get my hands onto a Blackbird clutch basket i will evaluate what is involved.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

patzx12 wrote:What about grafting in a Blackbird or Hayabusa clutch basket onto the CBX primary gear? it should be easy enough.
The action could be converted to hydraulic or cable. its something i have been thinking about doing.
I i get my hands onto a Blackbird clutch basket i will evaluate what is involved.
The major problem is the drive. The gear on the outer has to match the drive gear. Once you managed this, you still have to address the easier issues, like physical dimensions, depth, diameter, etc.
A hydraulic actuation conversion can be done with the stock clutch basket/set-up.

Bratt
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Bratt »

As a newbie to both this site, and CBX ownership, I can testify to how great this clutch basket repair process is!
During purchasing the '81 Pro-Link, I quickly identified with the PO that there was a clutch issue - both rattling and some 'slop' in the drive.
Then I discovered this fix, and it has completely transformed the bike.
To Piit, many thanks for both devising and documenting this very effective repair procedure. :drool:

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”