1980 starter clutch rebuild

bdento59
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

1980 starter clutch rebuild

Post by bdento59 »

Hi folks, been a while... I've been experiencing the dreaded starter clutch slippage as of late. I did some research and found that the springs (282125-422-000) and hardened followers (28126-516-020) are still available. However, the rollers (91101-422-000) are not. Rollers for the GL1100 (91101-516-000) are still available, but they appear to be slightly different size.

The CBX rollers are listed as 15x16, whereas the GL1100 are listed as 15x13. I assume that 15 is the diameter (in mm) and 16 is the length? Too bad its not the other way around so we could source the GL1100 rollers and machine them down to size. :x

Anyway, I'd like to verify the exact dimensions so I can look into getting some of these rollers machined from hardened stock. If anyone has an early starter clutch on the bench or in a box, would you please verify dimensions for me? Even better would be to loan me a roller so I can get it tested for surface hardness and alloy.

TIA,
Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton@verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC
We Breathe New Life into Old Bikes

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 1980 starter clutch rebuild

Post by NobleHops »

Sorry I'm no help, but please make a dozen if you do and sell one to me Bill!

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 1980 starter clutch rebuild

Post by Kool_Biker »

While reassembling my starter clutch few weeks ago I noticed one of the three rollers was in a deplorable condition. Not only was it scratched, it had also developed some 'flats' (photo).
The other two rollers were like new. No idea how this 'selective wear' came about. In any case, I had a new one lying around and had it swapped.
P1120338 (2).jpg
For what ever this might be worth, with the worn roller in place, I was experiencing no starter problems at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”