clutch adjustment

Paul
New Member & Happy To Be Here

clutch adjustment

Post by Paul »

I recently purchased a 79 CBX ,the bike is in good condition with 30 ,000 kms .I have noticed that the gear change is not always smoothe ,the gears do not grate , and neutral very hard to find once the bike is stopped ,I also own a 1982 CBX with the same kms ,but this bike the gear box is very smoothe and neutral easy to find .
Also on the 79 when I have the bike on the center stand and place in first gear with the clutch in (ie handle squeezed ) the rear wheel will spin and can only be stopped using the back brake which also lowers the rpm very slightly which tells me that the clutch is slightly engaged .I have adjusted the clutch adjuster screw as reccomended by the service manual , and also tried adjusting at the handlebar and adjustment above the clutch arm but still have the same problem .
Just wandering if anyone has had this problem and maybe some ideas as to how to fix.
Thx ,Paul

vwbug7777

Re: clutch adjustment

Post by vwbug7777 »

Hello Paul,

I had the same problem only a couple of months ago and the thread on how I dealt with it is in this forum somewhere - look under recent posts or in a relevant section - sorry cannot remember exactly which one.
Wise advice from others here pointed me in the right direction. The symptoms on my '79 were exactly as you described. Short answer, I took the clutch off (not difficult) and found that a PO had installed after-market plates and they were dragging all the time. Changed to new genuine Honda plates and discs and it feels like it is a new bike now :dance: - wallets alot lighter too!!!
Look back in the Clutch section threads and you will find some photos also but be assured you and I were not the first to experience this - thankfully in this forum lurks alot of knowledge!!!!

Regards,
Andy

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”