CLUTCH CABLE

letxbruce
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

CLUTCH CABLE

Post by letxbruce »

I did a re-build on my '79 CBX in '98 and have been quite pleased with the results. One minor problem was that I thought that Tim's CBX (Tim Ware) had sold me the wrong clutch cable since I had to back the threads out on each end to the extreme limits for proper adjustment. (as if the cable was stretched) I had also installed some of his after market clutch plates and heavy duty springs.The clutch has worked perfectly except for the usual problem with plates sticking after sitting for a long period. I had purchased a clutch cable from Honda, part number 22870-MG5-405, and installed it today with exactly the same results. Both ends of the cable have to be adjusted out to the thread limits for proper lever adjustment. I also re-adjusted the free play screw. This has me puzzled because the mechanics of this boils down to the distance from the cable housing anchor points to the frame tab and handlebar lever housing and I can't see how aftermarket clutch plates would result in that much adjustment. The exterior lever the cable attaches to on the clutch housing is basically parallel to the ground. It works fine, but just doesn't seen right. Any thoughts or similiar experiences?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CLUTCH CABLE

Post by EMS »

The Honda clutch cable you bought was not originally released for the CBX, but for the 1983 CB1100F. Honda may have superseded the CBX cable with that part. But this may be the reason you have to go to the extreme adjustment position.
Tim's may sell the same part. Try to find an original CBX cable - even used - and compare.
The original 1979/80 cable number is 22870-422-670 and the 81/82 number (shorter handle bars) is 22870-MA2-670

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

And be careful to ask whomever you buy it from if it has the center adjuster because many of the aftermarket Motion Pro cables don't have it.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Clutch cables don't have a center adjuster - only the 'pull' throttle cables do, but yes, the aftermarket CBX throttle cables are often too long.

Back to the original question - even the correct Honda CBX clutch cables tend to be a bit too long and most run toward the farthest end of the adjusters.

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

daves79x wrote:Clutch cables don't have a center adjuster - only the 'pull' throttle cables do, but yes, the aftermarket CBX throttle cables are often too long.

Dave
OOPS I got cornfused, a lot of the Motion Pro throttle cables don't come with the center adjuster. :oops:

letxbruce
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by letxbruce »

Thanks guys for putting my worries to rest. All is fine! :D :D

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”