81-82 Clutch Basket

Passx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

81-82 Clutch Basket

Post by Passx »

Ok so I'm making some improvements tonight (rattle,rattle) by putting a 81/82 clutch basket in my (rattle,rattle,rattle) 80X, things are going well until I put the retaining nut on and realise that it's not quite flush with the end of the clutch shaft,,take it all apart and look, check, everything looks good, then I realise that the new basket has a washer between the inner & outer baskets which happens to be about the same thickness as the nut is now out. So is this right and not going to be a problem or am I missing something here ? I'm hoping that the 80 engine will now be as quiet as the one in my 81 and I'll actually be able to hear the exhaust at the lights. Thanks in advance,

Steve (no more rattle I hope) P. #5220

CBXSUDBURY
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by CBXSUDBURY »

Funny you mention that work to your bike as I did the same thing this week and took everything apart a few times till I got it right.

The 81/82 clutch basket has a washer and do make sure your bolts that hold the springs are at the right place including the plate. There is only one way it will fit for proper use. There are two studs that are reset and the plate has two little dots that are suppose to be aligned with those longer bolts. Look at your manual and it describes it good.

So good luck.

Yvon Lamarche CBX Sudbury

Passx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

81-82clutch basket

Post by Passx »

Thanks Yvon,

I was aware of the 2 guide bolts and their positioning but what I was wondering is if the big retaining nut in the center ended up being not quite flush with the end of the clutch shaft like mine with 1-2 threads showing on the nut. I have taken the basket assy out several times to ensure that things are together right and cannot see anything wrong, the sleeve is fully back in the oil pump sprocket and the pins 2 now instead of 4 also seem to be fully engaged. The only difference in stack-up height appears to be the washer between the 2 basket halves so I believe that this is just the way it is and hopefully in the next few hours I should be able to ride it rattle free I hope. I was hoping that someone else had noticed this and knew definitely why the change, again thanks and I hope you have good results on yours as well.

Passx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Clutch & Ride

Post by Passx »

Yvon & others,

I finished putting the late model clutch in my 80 saturday as well as rebuilding the rear caliper and rejetting the carbs leaner, it was a beautiful day yesterday and the wife was having a girl party so it was time to stretch the 80's legs a bit and after about 160 or so mile I must say I was truly amazed at the sound of the 6-2-1 exhaust I have at a stop light (never heard it over the darn clutch), absolutely wonderful and no DOT 5 down the side either. Had a hard time getting off, haven't enjoyed anything this much since my first girlfriend,, Oh that might have been over the top ?? Hope you all had time to enjoy yours. X's that is

Steve P. #5220

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”