CMP ring installer

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

CMP ring installer

Post by bobber01 »

Anyone have experience with this tool? Thinking about ordering up 4 of them.
http://www.bikebandit.com/cmp-ring-installer

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CMP ring installer

Post by EMS »

It looks like you have to hold the tool in order to keep the band snug and the rings compressed. I don't see a locking device. This may be difficult if you have to do two cylinders at the same time.

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber01 »

EMS wrote:It looks like you have to hold the tool in order to keep the band snug and the rings compressed. I don't see a locking device. This may be difficult if you have to do two cylinders at the same time.
My bad as I just copy and pasted the Bike Bandit link. Here's a link to the model Dennis Kirk carries, which does have an adjusting/holding rod.
https://www.denniskirk.com/cmp/piston-r ... .p2818.prd
From what I've read it can handle a 3 ring piston between the sizes of 50-80mm so should handle a CBX piston.

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber01 »

[img]5014[/img]
[img]5013[/img]
[img]5012[/img]

Received four of the ring holders today. As the photo's show each 'set' comes with three different size holders. Each holder is plastic coated with one edge beveled. Tried fitting on a CBX piston I have and seems as though it will make life easier when fitting pistons into the cylinder. Piston slid easily once I adjusted the tensioner, had it rather tight when first put on LOL. After I ordered from Dennis Kirk I came across another company offering the same tool for $16 a set.
Not sure why the photo's so large... my bad I guess. Better versions of the photo's in the 'photo album' found in the IOCA 'Gallery'.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”