79 clutch frozen

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

79 clutch frozen

Post by tevan »

I have a 79 that has been sitting for 7 years. The clutch is frozen. It is not the cable. Is there a simple way to attack this without taking cover off? :text-feedback:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 79 clutch frozen

Post by EMS »

Without the engine running,which I assume you don't want to do after having the bike sitting for 7 years, it may be a little difficult. You can try to roll the bike in neutral and then pop it into gear while pulling the clutch.
Taking the clutch out is not a big deal, though.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

I did get the bike running after cleaning carbs,changing oil, lubing cables, cleaned brake system, rebuilt brakes and adjusting valves. I will try as you described then if it didn't work I will take clutch apart.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

If the bike will move on it's own, do as Mike suggested and just get it rolling down the street in gear (running). Keep the clutch lever pulled in and blip the throttle constantly. It will break free pretty quickly. It then may be a bit grabby for a while, but a few hard take-offs will smooth it out. Then if it does not want to stay free or slips or has other issues, then you'll have to remove it.

Dave

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

Thanks for all the help. It broke loose. That was a easy quick fix. :text-thankyouyellow:

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”