Now I'm pissed

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Now I'm pissed

Post by bobber01 »

Had a very good day! No radiation yesterday so felt good. Installed the carbs, did hook-ups, checked sump/screen, changed oil/filter, new battery and put fuel in the aux tank used for syncing. Purposely left the pipes off. Then touched, and I do mean touched, the red button. Beautiful sound hearing the vacuum burble from the exhaust outlets and when mixed with the sight of 5-6" blue flame from each outlet, well, what can I say. Dan was beside himself. Videoed it to show his co-workers.
Not having a fan to cool the engine I'll go at the brakes and fork seals. When Dan comes back from McMurray he'll bring back one of my fans and then we'll sync the carbs. But it sure was sweet today. Playing with the idle we could get the tach to show 0 and engine just 'whump whump whump'. Rev up to 3-4,000 with no exhaust and waiting for cops to turn up. LOL. Sweet.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

This is all great news! Now please do yourself and your bike a favor and DO NOT run it any more without an exhaust of some kind. That is very hard on the head. I just cringe whenever I hear of guys doing that. But good luck as you progress - sounds like you are on the right track

Dave

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber01 »

Pipes are going back on today before attempting to sync the carbs to ensure proper back pressure. Which leads me to ask, other than running lean due to lack of back pressure, what kind of damage can happen to the head while running without the exhaust? Be good info to know, thanks.

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber01 »

Didn't get much done yesterday. Started to change out the fork seals however turned out I had the wrong oil seal. When I ordered the seals the local Honda shop needed the bikes serial number, apparently there was a change thru production. The seals I needed have the same outer diameter as the dust seal but the set sent to me had a smaller outer diameter. When I went back to exchange the seals Partsman said the bike's serial number indicated there was a 'few' part number changes and they had ordered wrong seals. Seals will be here in a couple of days as Vancouver depot does have them.
When I got back I was putting tools away and honestly first time I moved/paid attention to the steering. Steering has a 'tight' spot when turned to the left so I'm thinking a set of steering stem bearings may be in order. Back to the shop to order, they'll soon be tired of me! LOL Want to get the bike mechanically sound for him and then the cosmetics he can take care off. When the bike started Sunday he was like a child at Christmas (how many of us remember our first CBX moment?) and wants to ride the bike the summer, maybe even too the Western Canada Rally if I can ride. His other bikes, BMW GS1200 and GS650F, are very nice however the CBX will be his 'Sunday' tour ride.
Speaking of BMW's, maybe someone here can answer a question for me about the 650. The engine has the same bore/stroke as BMW's 800 however 20 less horsepower. What's the scoop? BMW's number system doesn't follow ccs?????????

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber01 »

Haven't done anything to the bike in a week or so, radiation treatments been taking their toll. 33 down with 2 more to go and yes I am counting!
However have been gathering up some stuff. Got the steering stem bearings/dust seal for both Dan's '79 and my '80. While removing the alternator off Dan's one of the mount bolts didn't sound right... you know the scary twist and then 'crack' when it first moves. Surprised me they are still available so got 3 of each length just in case needed in the future. But today got a pleasant surprise. Been trying to track down the proper steering stem wrench for last 3 days. To make a long story short tracked one down, at local dealership go figure. After numerous phone calls did get the number to the Honda Canada Tool dept. who were of great assistance. Turns out there are also a few of these tools at the depot in Vancouver. They couldn't sell me a tool or quote a price but are able to tell me where tools are at. Apparently the part number had superseded (07916-3710101) and Parts had not been aware, sounds similar to when I tried to get fork seals.
Maybe tomorrow or Sunday I'll be able to sync the carbs.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Bob, a pat on the back for continuing to work on the bike in such difficult circumstances.
I suspect it can a pleasant diversion at times?

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber01 »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Bob, a pat on the back for continuing to work on the bike in such difficult circumstances.
I suspect it can a pleasant diversion at times?

Yes it is Steve. But I enjoy the 'conversation' here more, reading others experiences/projects. Thats what get my mind off things. Reading about X's which have been in some cases discarded (or should of been), and then someone taking the time to restore puts a smile on my face. Lately I've been applying it to life, no matter how bad things appear or are, somethings are worth the effort.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Bobber, you might want to consider an 'after market' set of tapered roller bearings for the steering stem. Much less susceptible to brinelling that happens with the ball bearings. Balls might be nice in a race machine for max feedback. But, they won't handle the 'abuse' of lower maintenance attention that many street bikes get. (And, if you wonder why OEMs use ball bearings -- they're cheaper.)
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Bobber, this may be old news to you, but the '80 supplement has a detailed process for getting the torque right on the steering head bearings that worked perfectly, once I gave up trying to do it by feel. It involves torqueing the bearing to something like 60 lbs, then backing off and retorqueing just until it takes N lbs of force to turn the fork, using a spring scale. Mike Nixon reprises it on his site here:

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... cking.html

Another vote for the tapered roller bearings too. AllBalls is one good source...

http://www.allballsracing.com

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber01 »

Yes I've been going over the write-ups for setting steering pre-load. That was a major factor for wanting to get the proper steering stem tool.
I think I must be missing something with regards to the last two posts and the steering stem bearings. I've already gotten the OEM Honda stem bearings however they are tapered roller bearings, not ball bearings as the posts seem to indicate they would be.

I did follow the bearing link. Cheaper than OEM. However nothing listed for the 79 or 80 models, just the 81 and 82's.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, all CBXs had tapered roller bearings from the factory, but most require replacement by the 20,000 mark. Just note the difference in the top bearing between the '79 and the '80-'82.

Dave

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Sorry bobber,and all. Somewhere in my feeble old brain, I was thinking the early models had ball bearing stem bearings. Carry on. And, yes, follow Mike's advice. Good stuff.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”