Now I'm pissed

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Now I'm pissed

Post by bobber01 »

Feeling good this morning, figured I'd take the opportunity to put the valve cover back on Dan's bike and start taking the carbs apart. Usually I run a 6mm tap into the cam holder bores which the cover bolts screw into. Doing the last one, #15, and thought it felt a bit odd so started to back it back out. Of course it $%^ing snapped due to there being a Heli-coil insert in there. Now I'm pissed!

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Now I'm pissed

Post by cbx6ss »

Sincere condolences. I had an easy out snap off trying to extract a speed bleed valve out of a caliper. I tried working with a dremel to put a slot in it to extract with a straight screwdriver. If its too deep for that how 'bout a dremel diamond burr bit to cut a freehand slot across it for a straight screwdriver. Probably get one try to extract. Might want to heat the hole with a torch in hopes it will expand for a looser grip on the bit end.
Best wishes for the outcome.
/r
Brad

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I was watching the Weather Channel and they said there was some sort of strange atmospheric storm above Alberta.
Now i know what it was.
I am guessing a couple new swear words were invented.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

I'd just get a dremel and cut a slot in the broke extractor, it wouldn't bother me if the slot also cut into the boss of the cam holder. I'd just remove the helicoil too and replace it with a time-sert.

TIME-SERT® is a solid bushing insert. This guarantees easy installation and allows for full load use of tapped hole, ensuring protection against stress and vibration.

product demonstration

TIME-SERT® is thin walled due to synchronized internal
external threads. Thin cross sectional area allows for installation in areas of limited space and clearance material.

TIME-SERT® Positive Placement. Having a flange on the top of the insert will insure that the insert will have positive placement and cannot wind down into the newly repaired hole.

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber01 »

Like the Time-Sert kit, checked out the website. Later I'll check to see if there's a supplier nearby. But have a bigger issue. While working on the cam holder to get the tap out, the holder sapped in half. What the eh??? When I put the two pieces back together and turned it over, looking at the bore, it appears as if whoever installed the heli-coil had drilled right thru the holder putting a neat hole in the center. Now on the hunt for a #15 holder. Soon another weather front will settle over northern Alberta! This time will be a major system. LOL. Oh well... could be worse.

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

hey bobber

let me check my parts box. i should have that #15 holder. as i will be into the champagne soon it probably won't be till new-years day. i'm next door in BC so i can get it to you pretty quick if i have it. PM me your details and i will advise.

thanks
kent

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

And in case you are worried, just check the oil clearance with plastigauge on the new holder. If all's well there you are good to go. I know some will tell you you can't mix holders as they are specific to each engine. They are, sort of, but most will interchange OK - re: Honda supplied at one time the tach drive holder as a separate part # due to so many guys breaking them removing the valve cover incorrectly.

Dave

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

OK bobber

i have that #15 cam cap and a couple cap bolts ready to go. Pm me your info and i will get them on the way.

thanks
kent

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Awesome. Great support Kent!

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber01 »

PM sent. Thanks for the help all, appreciate it.
Bob

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber01 »

Started taking the carbs apart today. Lots of grunge. Pulled the slow jets out but was wise enough to check for #40 helicoils before running the tap down... just in case! LOL. Jets came out fairly easy, now heading to Hobby shop tomorrow on south side to get a couple #80 drill bits. Called earlier to confirm they had some, guess they have 7-8. Anyone need one picked up and sent out? Finding a 4-40 screw over 1/2" long took some searching as well. Finally at Home Depot succeeded in finding a package 1" long.
Getting new Honda float valves sets from local shop. The accel pump and air cut off valve no longer available so had to open up one of the two Randakk CBX carb kits I had bought a few years ago.
Tackling the fork seals and brakes for next few days while waiting for parts. Rear caliper piston no longer available so will have search for that, but no panic. I'll do what I can and then make a 'list' and go on the hunt for items. Cann't drop the oil or pan yet as engine supported down there while folding forward.
My goal was to get engine running, or find out where its at, while here. If need be, when I go home (which I miss dearly) I'll get Dan to bring it to my place so I can putter there on it where I have more tooling.

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber01 »

Got the holder today Kent, appreciate the help. Hopefully I'll be able to reciprocate the support someday to yourself or another forum/club member.
Plastigauged the clearance prior, .003", so well within spec's. So now have valve cover back on and started at carbs. The #80 bit sure is a pain to put in the pin vice however worth the aggravation! Have all jets cleaned, installed and 1 float valve. Treatments starting to making their presence known so had to stop for the day. Hopefully I'll be able to finish and install the carbs by Saturday.

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

glad to hear the cap worked and was within tolerances. good luck on it!

kent

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber01 »

Finished off the carbs today. Haven't 'bench tested' yet though that'll be first on tomorrows list. Went thru the alternator, installed new bearings, brushes, gaskets and o-rings. Coupling plates looked very good so didn't add any shim, wait until we fire it up. While the alternator was off I used the opportunity to take out the primary chain oil spray tube. Held my breath after seeing what mine had looked like! LOL. However this one showed no signs of chain contact so taking that as a good sign. Picked up last order of parts at the local shop, brake rebuild parts and fork seals. Once engine fires up and get it running good I'll tackle the brakes and fork seals. Brakes are going to be an issue I'm sure. He had installed a new front reservoir on the bike when he put it away however didn't put any fluid in. The rear caliper is seized, had to use a pry bar when we moved the bike to push the caliper in to move the bike. Not sure what Dan is going to do about the fuel tank... its got lots of rust inside. Suggested he check out Tim's exchange program for painted body parts, which appears to include a fuel tank.
So, hopefully tomorrow I'll get carbs in, engine folded back up and fire it up. Did tell Dan it'll be loud. Like to see the flames when the pipes are off, nice and blue on all six hopefully!

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Awesome Bobber, nice work. Glad you're feeling up to it.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”