installing valve keepers

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

installing valve keepers

Post by kbart1 »

hello all

does anybody have any practical tips on how to install the little valve keepers after doing a valve job? i am using a large C-clamp style valve spring compressor and with the smaller attachment required for the cbx head i can't seem to lower the keepers into place? you can't get your fingers inside to place them and a magnet obviously doesn't work as it won't let go of the keeper. seems pretty simple but it's driving me crazy!!! :?

thanks!
kent

Joner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: installing valve keepers

Post by Joner »

HI kent.
I usually put a small blob of grease on the end of a small long screwdriver, and a smaller blob of grease on the inside of the keeper. Stick the back of the keeper onto the screwdriver flat blade at the end. Position the keeper in place and then slide the screwdriver out. Repeat for the other keeper, and the keepers will stay in place while you release the clamp.
Hope this explanation is clear enough, it's 06.30 here (can't sleep).

Cheers
Chris J.
Grey-haired bikers don't get that way from pure luck.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

That's a job that requires quite some patience. Everybody probably has a special way to do it. I use a long straight pick and fiddle them into place. :roll:

preston
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by preston »

I've modified an automotive valve spring compressor set and using the end of the Honda tool to push down on the retainer, I'll load the keepers in the retainer, set on the spring, install tool, pot finger on top of keepers and retainer, compress spring and the retainers fall in place. Can usually install all 24 within 10 minutes or less once the tooling is set up ( about 3 min).

A couple pics of Preston's valve compressor:

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

That's slick Preston. :dance:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

How do you hold the valve in this set-up, Preston? is there something under the head, the valve sits on?

preston
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by preston »

I'm inprocess of a head recondition now and when the time comes will have someone take pics of the tool in operation, hopefully in the next few days if the weather holds and I get the head painted and the valves lapped in.

Mike, the board the head is setting on has blocks conformed to the combustion chamber. The tool was designed to replace valve guide seals without removing the head from the engine (automotive applications). Add air pressure to the combustion chamber to hold the valves against the seat. The first time I used it was on my Buell and have since modified to use on the CBX. With this tool you could replace the valve guide seals on the CBX also without removing the head.

Moderator Edit! Photos added by request. Preston's notes:

First and second pics are of the tools I use for head assembly. The board has wooden blocks that mimic the combustion chamber to hold the valves to the seats , the spring compressor tool was bought on a tool truck, it is for replacing valve guide seals and springs on automotive heads without removal from the engine, the towers (blue uprights) I made for fitting on the CBX. Using their lever I made an adaptor for the Honda Tool end and ofcourse I use the Honda shim bore protector which I've had since 1978.
Third is a tool I made to install the valve guide seals. made from an old valve stem and the handls is relieved for the upper lip on the seal. Following showing the ease of keeper installation using this tooling.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Bumpity - added photos to Preston's post above.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

preston
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by preston »

Thanks Nils, hope these pics can help someone in engine assembly, the tool could be made at a cheaper cost if you look or can fabricate yourself, it's all in leverage and access to the keepers.
Preston

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Anytime Preston, thanks for the great content. Anytime.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”