PRIMARY SHAFT - INCORRECT POSITION

markw
New Member & Happy To Be Here

PRIMARY SHAFT - INCORRECT POSITION

Post by markw »

I have completely rebuilt a 79 engine. Unfortunately through some miraculous error I find that the ignition shaft is approximately 2 splines out. Is it possible to move the primary shaft out in order to recolate it correctly without stripping the engine? The primary chain gear is the early type without the tapered lock not.

regards, MARK

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: PRIMARY SHAFT - INCORRECT POSITION

Post by daves79x »

Mark:
This is a common error. Unfortunately, it requires removing the bottom case and stripping to the primary shaft to correct. I've seen 2 or 3 engines with fresh rebuilds that had this problem - a real bummer. The way to know for sure you have the shaft timed correctly is to mock up your ignition shaft to the clutch cover and temporarily install it to the upper case half on the bench or stand, right after installing the primary shaft. Then slide in the ignition components and see if your timing is right. Remember - you are using the 'F' mark for this - not the 'T' mark. In 5 minutes you'll know if you have the shaft in correctly and it will save you doing now what you have to do.

Dave

markw

Post by markw »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the valuable information. I have used the T mark when installing the primary shaft. This is as per the official Honda manual. If I use the F mark I am sure that the ignition wil line up correctly.
I will do as you have suggested by putting the clutch housing in position to check before I re-assemble the motor once again.
many thanks for your help.

kind regards,

MARK.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Mark:
You misunderstand. You use the 'T' mark when assembling the bottom end components - per the manual. You only use the 'F' mark for checking the timing as I described. Do not install the primary shaft using the 'F' mark. However, if you do the check I described, you will know for sure before buttoning up the engine. Sorry if I misled you.

Dave

markw

Post by markw »

I now understand what you are saying.
many thanks. I will let you know when successfull.

kind regards,

MARK.

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

Dave,
Just lurking in the background here... Thank you for all your time sharing your wealth of great info! I have learned a lifetime of CBX knowledge from all your posts!
Best wishes
Brad

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

:text-+1: from Aris!
Thanks Dave!
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

+100

When I was in the darkest days of my project, Dave spent a bunch of time on the phone and lots more on private emails answering what must have seemed like painfully stupid questions and helped me untangle several self-inflicted calamities. Never once did he point and laugh, and I gave him good reason to a couple of times :-).

Many thanks Dave, for all you do for the club, it's members, and of course all of our guests that use this valuable resource too.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Gosh guys...I know that Dave's extensive knowledge and experience is invaluable for all of us and we would be a lesser bunch of ignoramuses without him, but...
he may have to give up his signature Panama Jack hat, because it won't fit anymore after all these praises from you that will make his head swell..... :lol: :DD

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

They've only scratched the surface - If you added all their experiences together, it still wouldn't hold a candle to all Dave has done for me alone

I'm forever in his debt

I hope any of you who haven't already one day get a chance to meet him in person - He's an even nicer guy when you meet him . . . . and his patience answering stupid questions knows no bounds :mrgreen:

Don

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Crap! I am glad I researched this here!

Saved me some valuable time that's for sure.

:text-goodpost:

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Man I am glad I read this thread, Dave's tip to mount the clutch cover up and check the timing was a god trick to confirm everything was as it should be.

I assembled 'The Travesty's" bottom end today. All the mains spec'd out just fine., tomorrow I'll assemble the rods to the pistons install the set into the cylinders then mount the cylinder to the case and plasitgauge the rod big ends.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Mike:
Looking good! Glad everything is checking out so far. Yes, your plan to install rods/pistons in the cylinder and then slip on the cases works fine. I'd never done that until reading 'The Book'. There it shows CBX engines being assembled at the factory that way. Works great. Might be a bit tedious to plastigauge that way though. I'd do that with the bare rods so you have better control not to wiggle them around. Then when all's well there, assemble as you describe. Also make sure your trans shafts are seated properly in the cases - bad things happen if they aren't. Looking forward to hearing more!

Dave

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

daves79x wrote:Mike:
Looking good! Glad everything is checking out so far. Yes, your plan to install rods/pistons in the cylinder and then slip on the cases works fine. I'd never done that until reading 'The Book'. There it shows CBX engines being assembled at the factory that way. Works great. Might be a bit tedious to plastigauge that way though. I'd do that with the bare rods so you have better control not to wiggle them around. Then when all's well there, assemble as you describe. Also make sure your trans shafts are seated properly in the cases - bad things happen if they aren't. Looking forward to hearing more!

Dave
Dave,

Took your advise and I plastigauged all the rods before assembling them to the pistons, all within spec so I should have decent oil pressure, Preston set up my oil pump for me so I am covering all bases for a good engine. I hadn't given much thought to the transmission shafts seating in the case halves. I'll pay attention to that.

I did not get the cylinder assembly done today, I spent half my day trying to find someone to make up the oil cooler lines. I finally found a guy that said he could do it, had the rag line hose to. The crimps will not be the same but The Travesty won't be a 100 point bike, just a very nice bike. I'll post pics of the oil cooler lines when I pic them up.

Since The Travesty won't be a 100 point bike I decided to go with the stainless steel wrap vs the rag line wrap. I just though it would look killer with the black paint job.

Preston's work installed today: Preston even autographed the pump...sweet!

Mike

markw

Post by markw »

Hi Dave,

Just a report back. I re opened the engine and found that the ignition timing was out by 1 spline on the primary shaft.
I followed your advice by putting the clutch cover in place and it works fantastically. I do not think I will be making this mistake again.
The engine is running very well and I am most pleased.

many thanks and kind regards,

MARK.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”