cam chain tensioner bolt

rider3
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

cam chain tensioner bolt

Post by rider3 »

I have been sorting out a 79 cbx barn find that I got last fall and one of the last things I have to make right is the front cam chain adjuster bolt that appears to be broken off. Looks like its in a very awkward place to try to drill and easy out, also there can't be much of the bolt left ( 1/4 in. ) I think my only two options are to drop the engine and turn it upside down or remove the head to work on it . Also is this a special bolt, the Honda dealer couldn't tell me anything but did say it was not availible, the o-ring was still in the hole when I got the bike. This is something I would like to fix eventually since it drips oil on the front of the engine. Any ideas would be appreciated.

oilheadron

Re: cam chain tensioner bolt

Post by oilheadron »

I have just the thing for you. I ran into something similar (actually the bolt hole was slightly stripped and wouldn't hold any torque at all to speak of). We used a stepped bolt that I had a couple of laying around, no idea where they came from or what they're for. What I did was tap the hole out to a slightly larger size (don't remember the size right off the top of my head, but it was metric) and then used the smaller end of the bolt to bear against the tensioner. Works great. I'll give you one of these bolts if you decide you want one.

On the other hand, if you can get the old bolt out without ruining the threads you might want to find a good used stock bolt. We were able to tap the hole without dropping the motor (we did remove the exhaust though); maybe you'll be able to get an easy out in there without pulling the head, etc.

Ron

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The hole can be drilled with a right-angle drill in place. But to do a good job, you should remove the tensioner. You want a clean hole through, so filings don't foul the adjustment of your camchain. Get a new rubber plug from Honda also, and you can do a good job of cleaning it up and getting a new bolt installed. The stock bolt is a special bolt, with an o-ring groove. You should be able to get the broken part out pretty easily, but you will probably have to do it carefully as it it likely tight against the tensioner rod and you don't want to mark it up.

Dave

rider3
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by rider3 »

Tried using a right angle drill/easy out today and did not have much luck. beside having a had time working upside down I could not drill the hole deep enough for the easy out to bite with out getting into the tensioner rod. Thinking about sealing the hole for now and returning to this when I have the engine out again or have some reason to pull the head. Thanks for the idea's

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”