I think, at last, I am on to something

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: I think, at last, I am on to something

Post by Kool_Biker »

A very productive day indeed, with my engine once again mated to my bike and thus another milestone reached :violin: .
P1090440.jpg
In fact it was more a case of the bike being offered to the engine (which is so .. CBX) and then the two mated together :P .
And I explain; the bike, minus engine, tank etc, is so light. So I positioned the engine already on the lift and then with a couple of friends literally lifted the bike placing it over the engine where approximately it should locate.
Then the engine was then carefully lifted and balanced on my gearbox scissors lift, inserted underneath. It was then jiggled around until I could align and insert the previously lightly greased lower engine hanger and spacer, which went in a treat. And that was that. 10 minutes tops.

Next, I will do with all the little bits and pieces remaining to finish assembly, and lift and secure the engine.
As a treat, I will leave for last my favourite: locating the pull (lower) throttle nipple in the carb accelerator assembly :sad-roulette: ; what joy, last time it took me half a day and cost me a broken back.

Best
Aris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Oh no, there is no reason to thrash with that - Mike Nixon clued me in to attaching the throttle cables to the carbs first, and then fitting them to the carb boots. What you're about to do is certainly (literally) a pain in the neck...

Go Aris go! :handgestures-fingerscrossed: :handgestures-fingerscrossed: :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

Aris
I know you have already put the carbs on the head but if you'd consider tilting the engine to seperate them again the fitting of that cable will take just a minute. With the carbs off I rotate the butterfly mechanism fully and slip the cable down to locate it in its position. Then do the rear cable and push the carbs back in. Put a thick towel under the carbs to avoid scratching the engine paint.
Bike is looking good. Can't wait to hear how it runs.
Ross

Joner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Joner »

Hi Aris.

Looking very good, can't wait to see and hear it running after your long saga.

Cheers
Chris J.
Grey-haired bikers don't get that way from pure luck.

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Well, this time it took less than 30 mins and no broken back! I must be getting the hang of it.
I agree, engaging the pull throttle with everything in place looks impossible. But it is doable .. and I have done it twice.

Very little left to do chaps, I am now about a day from firing the engine :face:
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Good luck, Aris.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Aris:
I've been away, but keeping up with your progress. As has been said, you sure do the throttle cables the hard way. It is also really hard to install the carbs with the engine out as you need something solid to 'push' against, but you seemed to have managed. Whatever has worked for you.

I don't know what, if anything, you'll get from the top holes of the crank caps. As we discussed, the amount of cross-drilled intersection seems to vary from engine to engine. I understand your point of trying to exhume the last of any possible contamination in the galleys, so it's worth a try. But certainly build oil pressure and let the bike sit a day for the oil to soak the internals. You will initially hear a laboring of the starter, then when pressure starts to build, it will spin much easier. A sign of everything being lubed properly, I suppose.

I see your bike has a Euro-spec alternator - I didn't notice that before. Is the entire bike Euro-spec? Looking forward to how it runs.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:Aris:
I see your bike has a Euro-spec alternator - I didn't notice that before. Is the entire bike Euro-spec? Looking forward to how it runs.

Dave

Seems that the long rear fender - or mudguard, as Mel calls it - indicates also, it is a Euro spec bike. Although some are working on changing it, Greece is still part of the European Union....

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

:clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance:
Earlier on today my re- re- built engine was fired successfully with the bike on the lift. Bliss!! No words to describe. :laughing-rollingyellow:
After more than 4 months of hard work, lows and highs, it fired 3rd push of the button, it all sounds right, oil pressure (cold) is well north of 70 psi, seems to burn no oil at all, and is seemingly oil tight.

I know it is early days and so far the engine has run for less than 3 minutes in total. Will now finish assembling the bike to take the beast out for a spin.
Assuming all remains good, I will change the oil & filter at about 100 Km, see what what we find.

Still need some luck :handgestures-fingerscrossed: and little is proven yet.
Let's hope all continues as well as it was this morning.

:text-thankyouyellow: all for your support and wishes.

Best, Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

Great news Aris. What a relief it must have been to hear it run with no unusual noises. :dance: :D My guess is your engine is one of the cleanest and best put together motors on the planet good for many trouble free miles.
If you can record a video of it running I'm sure we'd all like to see it.
Good luck with the test run. :handgestures-fingerscrossed: :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
Ross

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Ross

Here's a video of the very first start, earlier on today...
I am doing my best to contain my excitement, but not sure how successful I am :dance:

http://youtu.be/-zorJXZ5sxQ
This is from stone cold and with very little choke, carbs not yet adjusted or synced to the new motor.

By now (late afternoon) the exhaust has been mounted and I had the bike fire again, then warmed up for a few minutes, revving it ever so gently.
Have to say seems to be making all the right noises, to my untrained ear that is ...

Hope to be in a position to ride it in the next few days.

Cheers, Aris

(Admin sprinkled a little magic dust on the video link)
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

That's brilliant Aris. I love your double fist pump when its starts! It sure does sound nice and quite to me.
I bet you will be riding by tomorrow! Wish I could pop over and watch. :D :D :D
Ross

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Awesome. Very happy for you Aris!

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bobcat »

Awesome Aris ! you certainly did your research and with lots of patience ! looking forward to further reports . :clap:
(cool shop too !)

bobcat
Bob
82 CBX, 81 CBX, CB1100F, 79/82 CB900F (avatar)

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

My Z, at last on it's own 2 wheels and 95% there, minutes before it's 1st test ride in the neighbourhood.
P1090519.jpg
Through lack of time, I only clocked ~10 miles, all as good as I would hope for.
The engine is tight - as expected - but also oil tight, holds pressure, is much quieter than before and carburation (which is the least of my worries at the moment) is just fine. All exhaust header temperatures are more or less in unison with the exception of no 2 which is about 15'C hotter - to be investigated.

I hope to do some real mileage tomorrow and then a proper (engine hot) compression test will be in order, followed by a hopefully tel tale oil change.

But so far, so good.

:text-thankyouyellow: all for your great support, I think we are getting there!

Best, Aris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”