Whats the skinny on camchain adjustment?

andy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Whats the skinny on camchain adjustment?

Post by andy »

Somewhere on an earlier-but-buried post on this bb, there was an alternative static adjustment to be done w/ cam cover off. Whazzup?
75 Kawa F7, 71 CB500-4, 79 750F, 82 750 Sabre, 83 Suzuki XN85 TURBO, 81 CBX, 69 CB750 X 14 (like those old Honda's a little)

corey

adjustment

Post by corey »

Don't bother. It's not that had to take off the valve cover if you unbolt the coil bracket (three 10mm bolts) and pull them up a little. Leave all the wires connected. The best way I have found is to take off the crank cover on the right had side and rock the crank when adusting then. Their are two tentioners. The front locking bolt is for the short cam to cam chain tentioner. The rear locking bolt is for the crank to cam chain tentioner. It seems to me they need some help when adjusting. If you back off the front lock nut then rock the crank until the slack is out of the chain span on the top between the gears. I use a stiff wire bent at 90 and get under the slider on the cam to cam tentioner and pull up a just little more then, while holding just a little pressure, lock down the front nut. Unlock the rear and rock the crank and the tentioner should move up and down. If it dosen't it's stuck. Pull it up with something to free it. Then just rock the crank and get the tentioner down as far as it can go. I give it just a LITTLE more pressure down with a dowel or whatever then lock it down with the rear nut while holding pressure. When I'm done I see that my chain is not too tight but it never is. That seems to work best for me. If you don't see what you are doing you might end up with more slack than what you started with.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”