Camshaft lobe stuck inside empty bucket

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Camshaft lobe stuck inside empty bucket

Post by Kool_Biker »

While adjust my valves, I absent mindedly turned the crankshaft while a shim was out :oops:, and so I managed to trap the corresponding camshaft lobe within the empty bucket.
Somehow I need to push the backet down, while turning the crank, just enough to clear the camshaft lobe. How very silly of me.
P1060442.jpg
Any ideas short of removing the camshaft and doing it properly?
Thanks, Aris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Camshaft lobe stuck inside empty bucket

Post by daves79x »

Bummer, Aris. There is probably a way to do it, but I'd probably lift the cam - at least you KNOW that will work. Good luck.

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Do you think maybe using some thin metal like a feeler gauge as a ramp could get the lobe past the lip of the bucket galley?

Maybe pull all the spark plugs to reduce the resistance on the cam so you have a better feel for whats going on.

good luck.

6Pipes
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by 6Pipes »

Aris,

I agree with Dave. Lifting the cam is the best way. I did have a crazy thought though. What if you cut a valve shim in half. Then grind a ramp on to the bisected half. Place it in your lifter body and slowly rotate the cam lobe so it rides up the ramp on to the remaining half of the valve shim.

Like I said, crazy thought... :DD

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

6pipes, your idea might just work. Of course, it is worth remembering that shims are hardened and no idea how to cut AND grind a ramp there :DD
Somehow, I think in the end I will have to remove the camshaft(s) and do the job properly.
For now I am focusing my time and energy on my much better behaving 76 GL 1000, trying to forget the CBX :oops: :oops:
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

6Pipes
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by 6Pipes »

Another crazy thought.
Would the special tool used for valve shim replacement hold the bucket down while you rotate the cam?

zxbob
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by zxbob »

6Pipes wrote:Another crazy thought.
Would the special tool used for valve shim replacement hold the bucket down while you rotate the cam?
That would be my first attempt to free it up !
(if you need the tool . . . haller at me)

Bob
Good parts aint cheap ~ and cheap parts aint good !

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

6Pipes wrote:Aris,

I agree with Dave. Lifting the cam is the best way. I did have a crazy thought though. What if you cut a valve shim in half. Then grind a ramp on to the bisected half. Place it in your lifter body and slowly rotate the cam lobe so it rides up the ramp on to the remaining half of the valve shim.

Like I said, crazy thought... :DD
I have decided to try this method and tomorrow I am fabricating a "ramped shim" :idea: Cheers 6pipes.
BUT, does any one know if it is generally OK to rotate the crankshaft anticlockwise (that is backwards, slowly and carefully) for about 180'?
Will I be risking any other damage?
P1060446.jpg
Thanks, Aris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I was always told the starter didn't like to go backwards. Otherwise, no problem. You can pull the starter loose if that is a concern. It probably won't hurt anything for what you are doing.

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Like I mentioned before, pull all the plugs to make it easier to spin.

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Success. In the end, 6pipes 'crazy idea' worked perfectly!!
I had a 'half shim' with a ramp fabricated from mild steel. Much easier than having to work with an original shim, they are VERY tough to work on (they should be!), and all I needed was a one-use tool, to get the trapped lobe out.
P1060466.jpg
In prep for the actual operation, I rotated the crankshaft clockwise ever so slightly to move the trapped camshaft lobe as far back, within the bucket, as it would go, without exerting any undue force.
P1060468.jpg
I then inserted the half shim into the backet, there was just enough room, and REVERSED the crankshaft, just enough to see the lobe come out a treat!
Finally I removed the angled shim using the two Honda tools for the job, replacing it with a normal one, and all was well again :lol: .
Thanks everybody, especially 6pipes and of course Dimitri, my good friend micro-mechanic who spent his valuable morning today fabricating the half shim for me.
Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

6Pipes
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by 6Pipes »

Aris,
Glad the "crazy idea" worked! You are very lucky to have the services of an expert machinist to help you with these problems!

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”