Clutch cover won't come off

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Clutch cover won't come off

Post by ajs350 »

1980 CBX. I've removed the 11 bolts, the pulsar and the advance/retard unit but the cover is still on tight. Have I missed something or does it need a tap with something to break it free? I'm reluctant to try this until I get some expert advice. Any help much appreciated. Thanks. Ross

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Clutch cover won't come off

Post by daves79x »

You usually have to tap (beat) the cover with a plastic or rubber mallet to free it if it has been on there a while. On a couple, I've had to pry on the raised projection at the rear of the cover. You can pry there without doing damage.

Dave

zxbob
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by zxbob »

I just went through my 80 . . . . The cover needed a tap or 6 with a rubber mallet !

I dont think it had ever been removed, it was kind of a P.I.T.A.

Bob
Good parts aint cheap ~ and cheap parts aint good !

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

zxbob wrote:I just went through my 80 . . . . The cover needed a tap or 6 with a rubber mallet !

I dont think it had ever been removed, it was kind of a P.I.T.A.

Bob
+2, couplea whacks with the rubber mallet around different spots near the sealing surface and *boing*, off it popped. Be careful though! There are a few little locating dowels that are really crucial to getting the new gasket lined up and in place as you replace the cover. Take it off slowly and with good light, and with some sort of containment beneath, lest one of them go missing :idea:

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

Thanks I just needed a little confidence booster to give it a whack! Any way it came off and I located the 2 dowels mentioned.
Am I right in assuming that the clutch push rod with the balled end will automaticall center itself in the cover when I put it back on?
Also, I have a good deal of gasket stuck on the engine case. Do you have any tricks to help get this off easily?
Thanks
Ross

zxbob
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by zxbob »

ajs350 wrote:Am I right in assuming that the clutch push rod with the balled end will automaticall center itself in the cover when I put it back on?
Also, I have a good deal of gasket stuck on the engine case. Do you have any tricks to help get this off easily?
Thanks
Ross
The push rod will center itself back up - as far as gasket removal, the clutch basket asembly removes completly with the center
nut taken off. The torque on it is only 40 or 45 ft lbs - Take the entire basket out and gasket clean up is a snap.

I borrowed the clutch nut socket from Nils and i still have it if you need it. (with Nils blessing)

Bob

zxbob
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by zxbob »

Look here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6473

It may help oodles . . . . :wink:

Bob

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

zxbob wrote:It may help oodles . . . . :wink:
Nope - No way!

I'm gonna sic the grammar police on you!! - You gotta use these newfound (to you) words correctly

'Oodles is a quantity . . . . a large number - "It may help 24?" . . . . I don't think so

"oodles [ˈuːdəlz]
pl n
Informal great quantities - oodles of money . . . . or Hondas in this case
[of uncertain origin]"

Oodles of . . . . HELP??

Don

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I am no expert in big numbers, but I know for a fact that oodles is NOT 5 :!:

one is 1, of course
a couple is 2
a few is 3
several is 4
quite a few is 5
many is 6
a bunch is 7
a lot is 8
quite a lot is 9 and
a ton is 10

after that I don't worry, I run out of fingers....

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

I bought some Permatex gasket remover which softened it up enough to scrape off. Now I just need to polish that case!
Thanks again for the advice. Ross

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

ajs350 wrote:I bought some Permatex gasket remover which softened it up enough to scrape off. Now I just need to polish that case!
Thanks again for the advice. Ross
Heya Ross,

Nice work. If you are in need of my homemade clutch hub took you are most welcome to borrow it. Let ZXBob know and he can ship it straight to you. Just send it back to me when you are done.

N.

P.S. Please join the club. I have other tools I'll loan, but only to members :-).

http://www.cbxclub.com/membership
Nils Menten

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

Thanks for the offer Nils but I manage to get the gasket off without having to pull the clutch. Being as the clutch is working fine I'm going to leave it alone....."if it ain't broke don't fix it!".
Only question left is what should I torque the clutch cover bolts to? I looked in the manual but could not see a figure.
Ross
PS Yes I'll be joining the club. This forum is a fabulous resource. I have no idea what I would be doing with my cbx without it.

zxbob
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by zxbob »

ajs350 wrote:PS Yes I'll be joining the club. This forum is a fabulous resource. I have no idea what I would be doing with my cbx without it.
Looky guys . . . . . . we got us another one 8)

Bob

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

ajs350 wrote:Thanks for the offer Nils but I manage to get the gasket off without having to pull the clutch. Being as the clutch is working fine I'm going to leave it alone....."if it ain't broke don't fix it!".
Only question left is what should I torque the clutch cover bolts to? I looked in the manual but could not see a figure.
Ross
PS Yes I'll be joining the club. This forum is a fabulous resource. I have no idea what I would be doing with my cbx without it.
Hmm, thought there was one. There is a 'general purpose' torque chart in the first chapter that gives torque values for a given size fastener. Refer to that in a pinch.

Join the club = support the club and we are grateful to those that do. We leave this site open to all because it is consistent with our mission to preserve the bike. Joining the club helps to foot the bills along with supporting the mission and there are other benefits too.

You'd be most welcome!

N.
Nils Menten

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

There may be a generic torque value for those size bolts, but no one ever uses it. As long as you are not an auto or truck mechanic, just go by feel. Those guys do too, but I think you see what I mean. No offense to Brian W or others here that are competent at both. Just snug them up and you'll be good. Put the gasket on dry except for maybe a smidge (there's a word for you Nils) of sealant at the split.

Dave

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”