Camshaft oil 'orfice' and oil pressure

Johnshondas
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Camshaft oil 'orfice' and oil pressure

Post by Johnshondas »

I'm sure this has been covered on this forum before somewhere... but I will ask it again. Why did Honda use an open orfice at the ends of the cams to allow oil to flow out and down the return, instead of plugging the ends of the cams so they would build some oil pressure?
As it is stock, it appears to me to be a "flood" lubrication system, or centrifugal oiling, so to speak. The oil flows into the cams, and when the oil level reaches the I.D. of the cam plug (orfice), the excess flows out and down the return channel.

I have heard that by plugging the ends of the cams on a CBX, it builds more oil pressure in the cams, and the result is better lubrication and quieter operation. Is there any truth to this? Or is there a reason Honda didn't plug the ends of the cams? I know the 4-cylinder cams are plugged, like on the DOHC 750/900/1100 engines.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Camshaft oil 'orfice' and oil pressure

Post by daves79x »

Can't really answer your question, but I can say the CBX set-up works for 100,000 miles and more and there are absolutely no cam oiling problems. I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Dave

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”