Gauge Sending Unit Options

twinegar
Power Poster
Power Poster

Gauge Sending Unit Options

Post by twinegar »

I recently acquired a set of 80 engine cases and noticed the four oil journals on the bottom. Would this be a good place to install temperature and pressure sending units? On my 79 I mounted both senders and the old idiot light sender at the sending unit hole on the top left of the case via a splitter and it looks pretty awful and thought if I could use the access holes underneath the senders would be pretty much hidden.
http://www.spookytoms.com/SpookyTom-CBX ... 03J2H.html
http://www.spookytoms.com/SpookyTom-MTRCCLSTF.html

"66CL160, 68CL125A, 68CL450, 69CL125A, 69CB750, 71CB450, 71CB500, 71CB750, 72CB350F, 72CB750, 74CB750, 75CL360, 75CB550, 75CB750, 76CB750, 79CB750, 79CBX, 79CBX, 80CBX, 82CB750, 84VF700S 05HDSPORTSTER1200ROADSTER"

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: Gauge Sending Unit Options

Post by Don »

Yes - I think there are about 8 of those oil gallery caps under there. 4 on each side, two facing down toward the ground, one facing forward beside the oil filter and then one facing outward - Parallel with the crankshaft. I used that outward facing one on the right side so I could snake my sender wire in just forward of the clutch housing and then have it join the ignition wire bundle to run upward from there. You're right . . . . it's pretty much invisible. I have a couple of pictures of it posted somewhere here in a thread about adding gauges

You can remove the screw on cap and carefully drill and tap the cap for a gauge sending unit and then re-install the cap (with a new 'O' ring) and hook up your gauge - I did this when I replaced my nearly useless stock voltmeter with an oil temperature gauge in the gauge cluster

Most gauges can use several different sending units. You'll need the smaller one to make it fit properly . . . . I think they're threaded for 1/8th pipe threads so you'll need that tap to make the threads in the oil gallery cap. The caps are a bit brittle as they're a thin casting, but if you're careful and get your pilot drill *exactly* centered in the cap (start with a very small drill bit) and then redrill it several times until you get up to the proper tap drill size for 1/8th pipe . . . . I think I drilled mine one or two drill sizes larger than the recommended tap drill size so that my sender would screw a bit deeper

Holding the cap with a box end wrench, *carefully* tap the hole, backing the tap out every 1/4 turn or so to clear the shavings. When the tap is about halfway in, check the fit of the brass sender - Screw it in snug but don't force it. If you still have 4 or 5 threads left showing, run the tap in a little deeper so the sender sits nearly all the way in flush - No teflon tape on the threads. If you carefully align the hex of the sender with the hex of the cap when you're finished, you'll be able to install the cap back on the engine case using a deep socket to fit the cap (not the sender) so you won't be putting any extra pressure on your new threads. The sender will fit up inside the larger socket

On mine, once I had the sender correctly installed in the cap, I put a bit of high temperature epoxy on the inside between the sender and the cap, just to 'weld' the two pieces together and prevent any leaking from your new threads. You don't want teflon tape on those threads because they are an electrical connection for the gauge. Use Marine-Tex or JB weld for epoxy and work it down into the narrow space with a toothpick . . . . fill up that void between the sender and the cap. I bought the correct size oil ring for the cap from NAPA

Don

twinegar
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by twinegar »

Thanks for the response.
I use Vdo gauges and the pressure sending unit is big so I will probably be using one of the side facing oil ports: http://www.spookytoms.com/SpookyTom-CBX ... OPTSA.html
I will take one of the caps to the fitting rack and see if there is a brass fitting that will screw into the hole before I go with the drill and tap method. Marine Tex is great stuff, I used it to rebuild missing metal on my engine case and was able to tap it and torque a bolt into it: http://www.spookytoms.com/SpookyTom-CBX-80-1-RB16A.html
My 79 already has oil pressure and temp gauges and a clock and I used a ugly brass tee to mount all the senders to the old sending unit port on top. As you can see by the pictures I have given gauges a lot of thought.........haha: http://www.spookytoms.com/SpookyTom-CBX ... EOPTS.html
I just got a great deal on two VDO Marine Clocks with a sealed domed lens. All the VDO gauges I am using come with a red condom that slips over the backlight bulb and matches the CBX gauges perfectly at night.

"66CL160, 68CL125A, 68CL450, 69CL125A, 69CB750, 71CB450, 71CB500, 71CB750, 72CB350F, 72CB750, 74CB750, 75CL360, 75CB550, 75CB750, 76CB750, 79CB750, 79CBX, 79CBX, 80CBX, 82CB750, 84VF700S 05HDSPORTSTER1200ROADSTER"

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

My oil temp gauge is a VDO . . . . the same one you have I believe - They are great because there are several different senders you can use with each of their gauges . . . . you'll want the tiny one with 1/8th pipe threads if you're going to fit it in the cap. I think this is the one I used http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VDO-323057/

They make pressure senders with a seperate 7 psi switch for an idiot light in addition to the gauge, so you could probably mount that one in the stock location and just do away with the Honda idiot light switch - This one has M10 threads http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VDO-360006/ Might fit the stock hole??

Those caps are Honda unique - There's nothing like them anywhere so far as I know. They are not a tapered pipe thread like most brass fittings. The threads have nothing to do with the oil seal - That's what the O-ring does. The threads are very fine machine threads - Unless someone is making a special aftermarket plug to fit them, you won't find anything . . . . and if you did, they would be more expensive than buying the smaller sender and mounting it in the cap. I think I'd stick with the stock caps anyway so as to not risk damaging your block

It's really quite simple to put a sender in the cap, if you have the right sender. You can put a single one in each cap and install all sorts of gauges if you like. The speedo, tach and the one gauge are about all I can keep track of the way I like to ride, so I did away with the voltmeter and installed the oil temp gauge there within the cluster. I have a 3 color LED voltmeter. A single LED mounted in a 1/4 inch hole tells you all you need to know about your charging system - Much more user friendly than the stock meter actually. I mounted it in the dash blank panel which is used for the air suspension on the ProLinks

Don

twinegar
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by twinegar »

Post a picture of your work for others to see. I would like to see it.
There is a custom fitting available now that eliminates the need for drilling and tapping:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT
The temp sender isn't a problem but I have never seen a small compact pressure sender. Here is the one I have mounted on my 79, VDO 360006D:
The VDO 360006D that operates both the gauge and oem panel light is no longer made but you can find new ones on Ebay. VDO 360006 is the new part number and Summit assures me that it is the same sender. By mounting the pressure and temp senders under the engine I can leave the oem panel light sender on top in the original location.
Here are the temp (300°F - #323057D0) and pressure (80 PSI - #3103032) senders that I used.
Image Image
For those interested in upgrading I made up a page of gauges with part numbers:
http://www.spookytoms.com/SpookyTom-CBX-80-1-PN03.html
O'Reilly has a nice selection of 18 gauge wiring for making up harnesses and they also have the flexible ribbed harness tubes to make a clean installation. Before installing I plan to attach the wires to the senders and then dip the units in black rubber tool handle dip to keep moisture out and then run the harnesses back and then up in between the clutch and alternator cases like you did.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

I had all the pictures related to what I did to my bike posted here - I think they got lost in the changeover

Pretty sure the link to the eBay part you posted is for the mounting of a mechanical gauge to the top right or left of the engine case - Don't think those fit the gallery caps underneath the engine. I never cared for those gauges hanging off the side of the engine . . . . eventually I'm sure I'd manage to break it somehow and then I'd be stranded. I would have the same worry about mounting the large pressure sender under the engine - It might not even fit the side gallery caps . . . . you might have to stick it out the front beside the oil filter. I would think mounting it in the stock location all by itself would be the best alternative

If you had the dual VDO pressure sender, you could remove all of your 'conglomeration' from the top and screw in just that pressure sender - Use it for both the gauge and the stock idiot light. Buy the 1/8-27 NPT temperature sender and drill and tap a gallery cover and you'd be all set. Mine is on the right side cap under the engine and it's virtually invisible

Don

jacques8630
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by jacques8630 »

Hi, every one, i'am Jack and i read the article on GAUGE Sending Unit Options and fiind it very interesting.
I will be please if i can find the parts to install a temp gauge and a pressure oil gauge, so i can see if there is a problem with my Bike and prevent further damage fot my 30 years
old Bike CBX 1982 Prolink. I cant identify all the part in the article but not the fitting to use to install in place of the screw under the motor. I dont like the drilling and tapping in there.
But Mr. twingear talk about a custom fitting avalaible to eliminate drilling and tapping. The part was not avaliable to identify anymore because it is on ebay.
If anyone can identify the fitting with some description or code number, i will be please.

Thank's in advance to anyone who can help a little bit.
Excuse my English , i was french origin.

Jack= Jacques

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Bienvenue, Jaques! Ici, personne parle anglais très bien! :teasing-poke:

Kneedragger-1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kneedragger-1 »

While installing an oil temp sending unit, I buggered the oil gallery cap on my '82. Anyone have one they would like to sell? 607-281-5286

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”