Did my clutch today !

zxbob
Power Poster
Power Poster

Did my clutch today !

Post by zxbob »

Well taken the cover off is pretty straight forward so im not gonna even start there.

Once the cover is off your staring at the at clutch assy. The clutch hub nut only requires 40 lbs
of torque so with Nils special socket, a 1/2 ratchet, and one (OK 2) good smacks with my palm
the nut was loose.

I removed the clutch assy whole (no dissasembly yet) paying attension to the bolts that hold
the spring retainer. Note that 2 are different and location is critical.

After making my mental notes the clutch was taken apart so everything could be cleaned and
preped for the new clutch / springs. I'll be using the EBC friction plates and springs for this.
I checked my steel plates for flatness. Honda says a flat surface and a feeler gauge but I just
cleaned mine with brake cleaner, stacked all of them and held them up to the light. If you dont
see any light thru em . . . . . their flat !

So now everthing is cleaned up - I've given my new plates their oil bath, (I use a pie tin to soak em in)
now things are ready to go together. Here's some things to know about the reassembling your clutch:

Those 2 different colored / shoulder'd bolts that you may not have payed attension to where they
came out go in the recessed holes shown, like the one to the right. Theres only two !

And the small casting dots (2) shown between the ribs must allign with the recessed bolt holes above.

Our clutches have an "A" and "B" plate. The "B" plate (1) is the last plate installed "or" furthest from
the clutch hub. It has a larger tab on it than all the rest.

Pay attension to the steel plates. If you rub you finger over the edge you will feel one edge is finished
and the other is shrarp. The finished edges of the plate install toward the cover or sharp edges toward
the case.

The direction that the friction plates are installed is important to. The rotation of the friction disks
needs to face forward in rotation.

Set it all back in the bike - torque the clutch hub nut to 40 ft lbs and cover it all up.

I hope this will help someone who has never done this before. It's pretty straight forward
if you know the little things to watch out for !

Bob
Good parts aint cheap ~ and cheap parts aint good !

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Re: Did my clutch today !

Post by alimey4u2 »

Great work Bob.... 8)
ICOA # 656

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Did my clutch today !

Post by NobleHops »

alimey4u2 wrote:Great work Bob.... 8)
+1, superb tutorial and pictorial. Thanks for contributing to the knowledge base so well.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”