Hydrolock - Shot myself in the foot

silversurfer1050
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hydrolock - Shot myself in the foot

Post by silversurfer1050 »

...with a gun I knew was loaded. Aimed it at my foot and pulled the trigger I did.

Getting ready to go on a ride yesterday, I saw a trail of fluid on the garage floor when I moved my X. I thought what could that be? There wasn't a puddle it just showed up as a streak when I rolled it out. condensation, water from a light rain leaking from a cover, gaoline? I turned the kill switch off. Hit the starter and it turned a bit and stopped dead. For some reason I turned the kill switch back to the run position and hit the starter again. It fired and then started a clatter. It still runs, but it makes a hellish noise. I think I've needed valve seals, rings, and who knows what else for while. So here starts my big adventure. It will give me time to do the transmission while I'm at it.

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=6195

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=6198

Shorty said "I'm also very anal about closing the fuel tap, even more since I removed that dreadful vacuum operated fuel valve." Why might they be considered evil?

So, here we go. :-)
A woman at 20 is like ice, at 30 she is warm and at 40 she is hot.

(Gina Lollobrigida)

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Re: Hydrolock - Shot myself in the foot

Post by alimey4u2 »

Sorry to hear it Bill, that's a sick feeling for sure.... :?
ICOA # 656

Stormer
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Stormer »

Well, sad...
But take as an oportunity to do a full rebuild!
Sory the bad english!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

What a terrible thing to happen, Bill. I must admit, I turn off fuel petcocks on all my bikes that have one dilligently. Maybe that's one of the good things you learn to do, when you ride a Harley :D :D
Last edited by EMS on Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Stormer wrote:
Sory the bad english!
Stormer, you should really take this out of your signature. 8) First, your English is not bad and second, there are people on motorcycle sites who speak better English than most of us and use the worst language there is. :roll:

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

silversurfer1050 wrote:...with a gun I knew was loaded. Aimed it at my foot and pulled the trigger I did...

<snip>

So, here we go. :-)

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear this. I shot myself in the foot so many times in my project, I can totally relate. Put it down for a few days. It'll be awesome when it's all fixed.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

twinegar
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by twinegar »

It's too bad that no one produced rebuild kits for the vacuum petcocks on the 80-82 Honda bikes. I already replaced my unit with a used one that still works but eventually time will catch up with it also. I realize that a lot of people just bypass them or remove them altogether but they do serve an important purpose when functioning properly. The early Sabre's have a combination petcock and vacuum petcock that can be rebuilt and I am going to see if my extra will fit the fitting on the tank. These can be picked up pretty cheaply off Ebay and like I said, there are rebuild kits to replace all the innards of the vacuum valve. My 79's will receive the same treatment.
http://www.spookytoms.com/SpookyTom-MTRCCLSTF.html

"66CL160, 68CL125A, 68CL450, 69CL125A, 69CB750, 71CB450, 71CB500, 71CB750, 72CB350F, 72CB750, 74CB750, 75CL360, 75CB550, 75CB750, 76CB750, 79CB750, 79CBX, 79CBX, 80CBX, 82CB750, 84VF700S 05HDSPORTSTER1200ROADSTER"

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

It would be so much better if the vacuum valve/petcock would have a "prime" function like some other Japanese bike versions. It doesn't, however, and it makes starting after a longer period of sitting and empty float bowls a pain. That's why people don't like it and prefer to get used to turning the petcock off. 8)

waltrobinson

Post by waltrobinson »

Same thing happened to my '79 CBX this past weekend. Got a flood of gas out the dip stick when checking the oil. Got lucky. First time anything like this has happened and I have owned the bike since new.

Has anyone thought about changing the vacuum valve for an electric one opened by the ignition switch? That would solve the empty float bowl issue and still automatically isolate fuel when you shut off the engine. Looks like I'm going to have to change the vacuum one anyway.

I don't like just leaving so much to just me remembering to close the fuel petcock. Honda knew me better than me when they installed the vacuum valve.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

You can install a fuel pump between petcock and carbs. They will effectively interrupt flow when ignition is off and will also help prime the float bowls at start-up after longer parking. I had done this on my KZ1300 when it was still carburetted and it made a world of difference.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

When you have a compulsive repetitive disorder like myself, "Is fuel tap off ?" .....Gives me excercise... :D
ICOA # 656

silversurfer1050
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm starting to dig back into this. I have a friend who's really good with engines that said he might have some time in October.

I'm thinking of doing the valve stem seals then also.

(Gina Lollobrigida)

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

EMS wrote:You can install a fuel pump between petcock and carbs. They will effectively interrupt flow when ignition is off and will also help prime the float bowls at start-up after longer parking
I've been considering this - Probably mount a small, low pressure electric pump under the battery box and plumb it up. First order of business though is getting 6 new Honda float valves installed . . . . 2 or 3 of mine are leaking like a sieve

Don

silversurfer1050
Power Poster
Power Poster

March, April, May, June - Midwest get-together.... the clock is ticking.

(Gina Lollobrigida)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

silversurfer1050 wrote:March, April, May, June - Midwest get-together.... the clock is ticking.

Bill, why don't you post something in the Rally and Ride Report and Events section.. :!: 8)

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”