inner cam chain adjustment

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

inner cam chain adjustment

Post by DevonCbx »

In the shop manual it says to ajust the inner cam chain, loosen the lock nut. I donnot see a lock nut. I only see a nut by itself. The front cam chain adjuster has a lock nut. :x

Thanks

Duane

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: inner cam chain adjustment

Post by EMS »

You are seeing right, Duane. It is not a bolt with a lock-nut. It is two separate pieces. It is a bolt and a cap nut. The cap nut sits lower than the bolt. I have always loosened both. Maybe I did something wrong :? :? :?:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Mike:
If you are talking about the upper plain bolt on the rear tensioner - no you aren't supposed to loosen it. It is the mounting bolt for the whole tensioner. Just take the crank cap off, hold pressure forward with a wrench (to put all the chain slack on the tensioner side) and loosen the chrome cap nut a couple of turns. You will hear an audible 'click' as the tensioner snaps up the slack, if it's been a while since you adjusted it. Same procedure for the front.

Dave

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by DevonCbx »

How does the cap come off. Also there is rather very little space to work.

Thanks
Duane

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Duane:
You don't take the cap nut off - just loosen it a turn or so - the spring mechanism on the tensioner will take up the slack. If you're asking how to remove the crank cap - just the 3 Phillips screws. I'm sure you've had that off before.

Buy yourself the longest 10mm ratchet wrench you can find for the rear tensioner nut. It will work just fine. Absent that, just manually run a 10mm wrench with the tips of your fingers.

Dave

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”