adjust valves

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

adjust valves

Post by DevonCbx »

Does anyone know of a demonstration video on how to adjust valves with the shims? I do have a shop manual and a valve holder. I have been reading how to do this procedure, but I would like more information. Due to the fact I have never done this before, I am having trouble understanding how it all works.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Let me do some research Duane, It will be a couple of days I'm afraid as I'm buried right now....
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Duane, I remember when I did it the first time (some 1,000 years ago :roll:) using the service manual and the shim chart. Following the procedure as described step by step makes it relatively easy. The key thing is being very methodical, measuring the gap and then measuring the shim and selecting a new one using the chart.

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

I have an excel spreadsheet that automatically calculates what size shim you will need.

Input the current clearance in inches, the current shim size in millimeters, your target clearance in inches, and it automatically calculates what size shim you need to put in. There is a second page attached that will do it for you if you are measuring clearances in millimeters.

Works great. I downloaded the sheet several years ago, but I don't know how to upload to the forum. I can email anybody a copy that wants it, or even better, if I could email it to somebody to post it here for downloading.

Steve

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

SteveG wrote:I have an excel spreadsheet that automatically calculates what size shim you will need.

Input the current clearance in inches, the current shim size in millimeters, your target clearance in inches, and it automatically calculates what size shim you need to put in. There is a second page attached that will do it for you if you are measuring clearances in millimeters.

Works great. I downloaded the sheet several years ago, but I don't know how to upload to the forum. I can email anybody a copy that wants it, or even better, if I could email it to somebody to post it here for downloading.

Steve
Moi!

cbxclub2010@gmail.com will do nicely. I'll find a home for it.

(Hey Steve!)

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

From the CB1100 website, adjustment with the Honda tools.

http://www.cb1100f.net/Other/misc/Shimswap.wmv

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”