sparkplug inserts

LamarX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

sparkplug inserts

Post by LamarX »

Anyone would know where to get sparkplug inserts from ? I need to two plug hole fixed up, any word of advice to reduce shavings in the combustion chamber. Not planning on removing the head.
Thanks all.

Marc

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

I have heard that Helicoil works great & you don't need to remove the head, just use an industrial vacuum attached to the exhaust port when re-tapping the thread.
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have used Helicoil to repair stripped spark plug threads in aluminum cylinder heads without removing the head. I have stuffed a small piece of rag smothered with grease tied on a piece of string through the hole. The string is placed so that I can pull the rag out with tweezers after cutting. The shavings stick to the grease and come out with it.
Larry's procedure will work well also. You should make sure the combustion chamber is really dry when you use a vacuum. Maybe blowing compressed air into the spark plug hole before will help.

LamarX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

sparkplug inserts

Post by LamarX »

Thanks guys, I will most likely use the rag grease procedure since I don't want to remove the exhaust either, call me lazy that's ok. I'll at the very least have the pison at TDC.
I will look for heli coils tomorrow, 12 mm

Marc

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

I wouldn't attempt it with the piston anywhere near TDC - The tap will need to extend a good bit down into the cylinder . . . . the bottom threads on it are only partial threads so you'll want to screw the tap all the way in

Even as lazy as I am, I think I would go to the trouble of removing the exhaust and using the vacuum if you're concerned about removing all of the debris - There's going to be a good bit of it with the drilling and tapping process and trusting the greasy rag to hold onto all of it while you pull it out of the sparkplug hole seems 'iffey' to me at best

Don

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Hate to state the obvious but make sure your exhaust valves are open & your inlet valves are closed when & if you do the vacuum trick... You get a better suction through the plug hole & you don't end up with a huge bang from your non intrinsically safe vacuum cleaner.... :shock:
ICOA # 656

80 cbx dude #6216
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by 80 cbx dude #6216 »

I have used grease on the drill and the tap-removing them , cleaning and regreasing for best effect.Take your time and be patience-Mike

LamarX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

sparkplug inserts

Post by LamarX »

Yes I figured that out not to have the pistons @ TDC, the tap I used was a good quality, it has the original thread 12mm as a guide and then the tap, no drilling required.
I filled the flute full of thick grease and started to tap the hole, then with compressed air, blew out whatever else fell in there.
Bolted everything back together and had it running for the last 30 minutes, everything sounds good so far.

Going out riding for the rest of the day, thanks for all your input.

Marc Lamarche

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Gnus.... 8)
ICOA # 656

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”