Clutch Cover Removal Questions

ericfreeman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Clutch Cover Removal Questions

Post by ericfreeman »

I'd like to remove and polish my '79's clutch cover this winter. The clearcoat has deteriorated and the metal underneath is in desperate need of a good polishing. From the Service Manual, it sounds like I can pull the entire cover off without disturbing the timing pickups, but I'm not sure how this is done. I haven't looked inside the timing cover yet but I assume there is a rotor of some kind along with an oil seal. Any advice would be very much appreciated before I tackle this job. Yes, I have all the new gaskets on hand.

Eric

CBXRoger
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXRoger »

First, drain the oil and be prepared for some to run out when you pull the cover. You have to remove the clutch release cable and the wiring that comes from the timing unit.

The shop manual calls for removing the right exhaust pipes, but many CBX'er and I have pulled the clutch cover without removing the exhaust.

You may want to upgrade the clutch basket while the cover is off, to eliminate the clutch basket rattle that is common on '79's. Also check the steel clutch discs for flatness.

Sounds like a good winter project.
Freeways are boring. Back roads have character.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Eric:
Just loosen the pipe at the rear mount and at the finned collars. The pipe will drop enough to get the cover bolts out. Don't worry about disturbing the timing - it's easy to re-time. Just take out each component separately. Make sure the pulser shaft seal is good and also the o-ring on the end of the shaft where it presses into the primary shaft. Don't be surprised if some of the bottom bolts on the cover come out very hard. They will snap, but are easy enough to drill out. You should have the proper tool to remove the clutch nut if you are going to inspect that.

You can remove the cover without losing any oil if you put the bike on the sidestand. But if you need to change the oil anyway, go ahead and drain it.

Dave

ericfreeman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ericfreeman »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. Sounds like a pretty easy job and I'm looking forward to a shiny clutch cover!

Eric

CBXRoger
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXRoger »

The quality of the aluminum in the CBX is of high quality and polishes well. You will enjoy the looks after polishing the clutch cover and will be looking at the alternator, the carb tops, crank end caps, cam end caps, as items to polish during the long winter.
Freeways are boring. Back roads have character.

Z Grand
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Z Grand »

They do polish up to an almost chrome-like finish. I didn't have the tools or the patience to do it myself, so I took mine to a professional polishing shop. They did a great job (notice the reflection of the clouds in the cover).

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Geez.... :shock: I have to wear sunglasses to look at that picture 8)

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”