adjusting valves

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

adjusting valves

Post by DevonCbx »

When adjusting valves, do I need the valve lifter holder tool or is there another tool to use. Also are the shims that need replacing very common to purchase? Because I have not taken the valve cover off I am not familiar with shims. How do they stay in place?

CBXRoger
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Shims

Post by CBXRoger »

The lifting and holding tools are the only way to go. After you pull the cover, and measure the clearances of all the valves, you will note which ones are out of spec. At this point, you have to determine the thickness of the shim on each of the out of spec valves and write it down. You may be able to swap some to bring them into spec. After that, post which shims you require and someone may swap with you for what you need. Or, contact your local dealer for the needed shims.

If you don't have a shop manual, it is time to get one.

Rger

PS. Shims from other brands of motorcycles may be interchangeable.
Freeways are boring. Back roads have character.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The buckets have a small rim that extends above the surface. The shim sits on top of the bucket and is held inside the rim. You will need a small pick or tweezers to remove the shim. The hold-down tool can be substituted but the original one is shaped so it holds down both valves and makes the process easier.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

DO NOT ROTATE the engine with any of the shims out Duane or you will damage your cams.... :?
ICOA # 656

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Shims

Post by SteveG »

CBXRoger wrote: If you don't have a shop manual, it is time to get one.

Rger

PS. Shims from other brands of motorcycles may be interchangeable.
Yes indeed. Read the manual, it makes the process nice and clear.

I hit my Yamaha dealer up for the shims, a couple bucks each and I am on my way.

Steve

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I've been told that the FJ series Yamahas used the same shims, as did some Geo cars.

You'll probably be surprised at how few of your valves are out of spec. In all the times I've checked my valves, I've had to swap two shims.

The hardest part of the job is getting the valve cover gasket in correctly.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

CBXRoger
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXRoger »

The cover gasket has to be glued to the cover, so it can be inverted to put it in place. There is one tall bolt head that will try to snag the gasket. With one of your wife's spatulas, working from the rear and holding the gasket, you can slide the cover in place without losing the gasket.

Roger
Freeways are boring. Back roads have character.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”