Supercharger

E Lee

Supercharger

Post by E Lee »

I'm interested if anyone has or had experience with "Superchargers" for the X?

I have seen a picture somewhere but seeking more info.

Thinking this route instead of Turbo, i.e. cost of system and availability. A rough quote around $1,850 turn key bolt up.

This is talking with Magna Charger. It's their busy season for new stuff but they told me there once was a system, when time permits can start digging up what they have.

They said to get a survey of how many X'ers would be interested so let me know. This could speed the process.

How's 150 HP Feel. Idle all the way up.

Well I saw it at Oregon Rally when Turbo Bob and Mark would walk away from me, Bob with wife on back even. Turbo's though would be $4K or more.

Later,

Ed Lee #5428

dobierescue

supercharging the CBX

Post by dobierescue »

Frankly, I think the turbo is the way to go. As you know, the supercharger is belt driven and engineering that drive isn't easy and the execution could never be described as elegant. Packaging is an issue, and the turbo solution just lends it self better to motocycles.

Powerwise, the turbo has an edge over the blower. Modern turbo's can be configurated to the point of minimal turbolag.

I would recommend going with fuel injection rather than a carb.

Having said all of the above, I should probably qualify those statements:

1) I design and manufacture supercharger systems. Check out a couple of my websites: www.superhummer.com and www.projekt928.com

2) I am a dealer/distributor for both Vortech Superchargers and Turbonetics, so I have a foot in both camps. No personal preferences are voiced here, just an opinion of what will work best.

Sincerely,

Eric Munck

E Lee

Superchargers

Post by E Lee »

Eric,

So the questions are:

Have you designed a Super or Turbo for the X?

Do you have a kit either/or?

How much?

Still would like to hear comment from the crowd.

Later,

Ed

jdeatsch
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

the blower debate...

Post by jdeatsch »

Ed,

I, too, must go with turbosupercharging over 'Rootes' type.

1. The lower end is not hammered with a turbo as it is with Rootes. Remember that, typically, the Rootes type is inducing boost even when we 'leave'.

2. Turbosupercharging has the propensity to deliver more horsepower as you need it. That is, the faster you go, the faster you go. The turbocharged engine performs based upon a function of throttle opening and engine rpm since the exhaust gasses spin the impeller.

3. A by product and nice touch of the blown engine (either method) is better atomization of the fuel/air mixture. We like to keep our air and fuel in an atomized state rather than letting it revert to liquid and gas separately.

I gotta go with Eric here. The blower that works off the exhaust is the way to go, imho.

Now let's talk about water/alcohol injection to inhibit detonation when we run a TON of spark lead. snicker. :lol:

hth,

Jim
"Racing improves the breed" - Sochiro Honda

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Turbo vs Blower

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

Just a few things to ponder;

Roots type blower is less efficent. Because of that, it generates more heat, increasing the temperature of the intake charge. This costs horsepower. Also adds to the chances of detonation (bad, detonation bad, JU JU BAWANA JU JU).

Blower takes horsepower to drive, turbo does not. This power is transfered through the crank, the crank is weak already. Also no real good place to attach blower drive.

Weight, the blower will be heavier. This will stress the frame/suspension which we all have agreeded is at it limit.

Fitting into frame next to impossible, finding a carb to work at resulting angle difficult, cool factor 8) PRICELESS!

Regards, Tom

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

turbo vs. blower.........

Post by sr71cbx »

.......I will stick with my turbo unit,it has always worked good and given pretty much trouble-free service for the last 10 years on my '79. 8)

jdeatsch
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jdeatsch »

Tom scribbled...

Also adds to the chances of detonation (bad, detonation bad, JU JU BAWANA JU JU).

Ahem. As it happens I have a spare chicken and set of rune stones.

We're all set.

Squirt that water/alky in and all is well. :)

Jim
"Racing improves the breed" - Sochiro Honda

E Lee

Supercharger

Post by E Lee »

Ok, Ok, Ok, gents, I get the picture. Thanks.

Didn't know so went to those who do.

Let me rephrase the question.

Anyone know who, where can get a turn key Turbo?

Fill in the "Blanks" like how much.

Question before to maybe convince a production run; anyone interested Turbo?

Later,

Ed

cbxchris

Post by cbxchris »

It is going to be hard to find a turbo for the x. Several used to make them but at this moment I know of no current manufactor. I sold a like new unit a couple years ago for 1800...complete. My reasoning at the time was I had a couple hayabusa`s and why spend a fortune trying to go fast when I had a stock bike that would easily outrun it when done. Now I wish I had built the cbx turbo...but thats water under the bridge. You need to do some engine mods to be safe if you do go that route. Again finding parts will be a problem. The only bikes that I know of old as the x that you can still easily get parts for are the Z-1 and the GS series. I hate to say this here because I love my cbx`s as much as anyone but I would probably turbo a newer bike like the hayabusa. Its just a lot easier to get parts and the end result is so awesome. I recently rode a hayabusa that made 355 HP....as easy to ride as a stocker...ran on pump gas...not that expensive to build. I do hope I am done with performance bikes....I`m getting to old :shock: .......probably not though :D

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

turbo X......

Post by sr71cbx »

-------cbxchris,a turbo 'Busa is an evil beast for sure but would sure be a gas to ride!Ed,I think that dobierescue,the guest poster in this thread,snagged the turbo CBX that was on ebay the last couple weeks.cbxchris,you are correct in saying that sources have dried up for turbo stuff for the CBX,as there is plenty of new stuff that does so well in a turbo application and there is just not enough call for a turbo system for the CBX anymore. :( Most aftermarket guys don't want to spend money on overhead for something that they may sell 1 or 2 of in a couple years'time.

I read an article in the last Honda Red Riders'magazine about a guy that runs a CBR1100XX with turbo in a street legal class,the bike won the H.P.shootout @ Daytona this spring with an unofficial dyno pull of 501 H.P. WITHOUT NITROUS.I believe the bike ran high 7's @ the dragstrip(1/4 mi.,not 1/8 mi.)from what the article said.This is another example of new technology these days,it's expensive but the end result is a real tractable beast that will get your attention when driven hard 4 sure! :twisted: 8)

Ride safe!

E Lee

Supercharger

Post by E Lee »

Yep guys, It is a wish list idea for the X. Something that would take it into extreme out of the ordinary and be the ultimate eye catcher -- Oh well. I guess I missed that era. The turbo other new stuff, maybe some day. I'm still happy, just about everyplace I'm at, in motion or stopped I still get attention and it ain't a Harley!

:P

keep your eyes and ears open though, just in case.

Later,

Ed

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

blowers,turbos,etc.

Post by sr71cbx »

Ed,

You got a nice '81 model,hope it gives you good service in the future and glad you had been able to make it to Oregon,turbo or not!See about getting down to Morro Bay in Sep.,another good time----be there & enjoy all the scoots & people in attendance.A turbo will get you there faster at the expense of fuel mileage :shock: 8) ,but it doesn't matter,just bring the CBX..... :!:

Dave Hansen
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Dave Hansen »

The current Motorcyclist mag has a article on that blackbird with the turbo. 500hp, wow :yikes:

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”