Oil filter (CBX service bulletin)

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Oil filter (CBX service bulletin)

Post by piit »

As many known most of the Honda dealers do not know this service bulletin.
Question now; have you ever heard that motor damage could be caused by using other oil filter than original 422?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have not heard of actual motor damage but I heard of cheap oil filters disintegrating.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

It is conceivable as Honda wouldn't have brought out the bulletin. However, I use these to good effect...

ICOA # 656

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

If thinking more about original filter...it is hard to believe that Honda used a different filter material just for the CBX. Also why CBX filter is discontinued not the other filter mentioned in servive bulletin?

I am keen to buy this adapter as well, but do not wanna order it from US and pay shipping and taxes. If available from Europe just let me know. Also used one is ok.

GregW
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by GregW »

From what I've heard & read over the years, the pleats in the CBX filter were designed to flow more oil than those used on the SOHC fours, such as the 350, 500/550, & 750. Using filters designed for the aforementioned machines would result in less oil flowing to the CBX motor, supposedly ending in a damaged motor.
Regarding the last Honda filters I bought for my '80, the part number for the CBX filter was also the part number for my 750's oil filter (I believe Honda is making just one filter for all now). Both filters are the same size, but if you put a 750 filter next to a CBX filter, you can see the pleat size difference.
K & N does make an OEM type filter for the CBX & 750, I ordered 4 of the CBX filters last year for my bikes. I use the CBX filter in my 750, just so I don't get the two mixed up (senility I guess). :?
They're not any more expensive than a Honda filter.

Hope this helps,
Greg
You can never have too many motorcycles.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

The OEM filters don't cost all that much, nor do you need all that many of them . . . . at least not for just one bike

Order a set of 5 and you're good for a long time

The factory filter is set up to radiate lots of heat . . . . it has about as many square inches of cooling fin per area as the cylinder head does

Don

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

Thanks. For me it looks that Honda just wanted to "wash hands" by releasing the service bulletin. Do not know the facts but hard to believe that there would be so huge difference between these two filters and could cause motor damage. If would be critical in my opinion Honda should discontinued 750cc filter not CBX filter as it is suitable for both.
I have run always 750cc filter without probs (known probs :lol: ) because the CBX filter does not exist anymore.
In last oil change I was planning to put HiFlo oil filter but after all I did not by couple reason (compared to OEM filter):
1.) a big O-ring was very knot
2.) the oil filter center seals were very loose-fitted on center bolt

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

I believe that the CBX filter was a "Hi-Flow" volume filter and that is why the service bulletin. I do not know of anyone seizing an engine because of the filter.
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

If a filter has too much restriction and oil flow is inadequate, I would think the first failure would occur in the hydro-bearings of the crank.

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Oil filter (CBX service bulletin)

Post by barryadam »

Does anyone have pictures or a way to tell the difference in the CBX and original 750 filters? Or the 422 / 426 or -000 / -010 CBX filters?
I have a Honda filter, original bag is opened. The bag is marked 15410-426-010 with a secondary number just above the barcode of: 4M26.
The filter has some kinda symbol stamped into both metal ends and one end is marked : 4M23.

I have no other filter in hand to reference.

Barry

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

According to this chart the filter should work on either bike. My oem filter bag only had the part #, no 4M26 or 4M23.
http://www.onlinemcparts.com/products/e ... 26010.html

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

I don't know if the original Honda packaging (bag) and the filter I have, actually started out life together.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

barryadam wrote:I don't know if the original Honda packaging (bag) and the filter I have, actually started out life together.
The original Honda packaging (bag) supposedly contained an oil filter for a CB650. No idea, if it is the same or similar as one for the CBX.

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

I've got a new Honda filter in an unopened bag that I ordered a couple of weeks ago. It's p/n 15410-426-010 and has 0D12 printed just below the p/n, nothing above. The filter itself has OD06 (that's oh, D, zero, 6) printed on one end. It has wider spaced pleats than the comparable K&N 401 and also doesn't have the metal "pleat" that the K&N has connecting the two endcaps, whatever that matters.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”