Media blasting an 82 engine

timinator
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Media blasting an 82 engine

Post by timinator »

Has anyone here media blasted an 81 or 82 engine? I'm looking at installing it in an earlier model bike and want the silver engine. Were the original 79 / 80 engines bare metal or were they painted? I'm thinking I could just have it media blasted to take off the black paint. Has anyone done this and what type of media was used? Do you guys paint your engines silver after rebuilds or leave them? Thanks

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Re: Media blasting an 82 engine

Post by alimey4u2 »

Hello & welcome... :thumupp:
Has anyone here media blasted an 81 or 82 engine? I'm looking at installing it in an earlier model bike and want the silver engine. Were the original 79 / 80 engines bare metal or were they painted?
Crank case, cylinder, cylinder head, cam cover were painted with the polished alloy parts ( clutch cover etc.) clear coated. The top work was high silver & the crank case a duller silver..
I'm thinking I could just have it media blasted to take off the black paint. Has anyone done this and what type of media was used?
Engine apart or together as one piece ??
ICOA # 656

timinator

Post by timinator »

Is it a custom paint mix for the silver or off the shelf engine paint colors. If so, which brand and colors?

The engine would be media blasted fully assembled.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Lots of great info here timmy, crack a beer, sit back relax. Too much information for me to go over again I'm afraid..but it looks like PJ1 silver for the topwork & possibly "Mariners" outboard motor paint for lower, although I have had a lot of success with paints from JC Whitney for the lower work also. Been a while though....

viewforum.php?f=27
ICOA # 656

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Media blasting ....Make sure you tape up all the holes exremely well with strong duct tape. That stuff has ways or getting into every nook & cranny ....Proverbial sand in crack syndrome... :shock:
ICOA # 656

new shorty
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by new shorty »

An even better way to prevent "The sand in Crack Syndrome" would be to have it ice blasted.
No media will stay somewhere where you wouldn't want it to stay.
Just blow things dry afterwards with a lot of compressed air, and you're good to paint.

Cheers,

Joost
As long as mankind doesn’t see this World as one World, we may be witnessing wars, or become a victim of one of these wars.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”