Leaky freakin oil hose

big al
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Leaky freakin oil hose

Post by big al »

This is making me CRAZY. I've been trying to get the right-side oil hose to stop leaking.....the oil migrates out of the case, and down the hose, and within 24 hours of EVERY attempt at getting a good seal leaves a BIG puddle of oil on my garage floor. Have replaced the o-ring (more than ONCE, btw)
and tried making dang sure it's all good & dry, but to no avail. I'm tearing my hair out on this one, nothing is working. Any ideas? From what I can tell,
I'm just not getting a good seal between the crankcase and the hose fitting.

Thanks in advance, I need to get this thing back together so I can get it sold!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Are you sure you have the correct O-ring, 15x2.5 ?
Use an additional sealant. Any good oil-resistant flexible sealant will do.

big al
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by big al »

Yep, straight from the HONDA shop. I had thought that since it's a superceeded number form the original that maybe it USED to use something like a 15 X 3 or 3.5 but I'll be danged if I can find one.
The service manager at the local Honda shop suggests putting a thin bead of Yamabond 4 in the o-ring recess on the case, and letting it set up over night. Also had a suggestion to use some kind of thread sealer on the oil-line bolts. I'll try that tonight and hopefully in the morning NOT have to invent a new colorful metaphor......

Thanks for the reply!!!!!

"Give me ambiguity or give me something else...."

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The original O-ring is 15 x 2.5.
Make sure the surface of the O-ring seat in the crankcase is clean. The threads of the bolts should not be a problem. Oil should not even get there.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Are you sure it's coming out of the O-ring sealed flange joint & not between the hose/barb....
ICOA # 656

big al
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by big al »

I grabbed a good straight edge and checked, the bolt flange is good & flat, good & clean. Actually BLEW in the oil hose (YECH!!!) and observed no leaks.
Also grabbed my air hose and gave it 20 PSI....no air coming out of the line but I DID hear air in the sump. So I am guessing the hose is okay (hope so, you can't buy 'em from Honda anymore....)
So. Cleaned everything off real good. Again. Put a little bead of Yamabond 4 in the o-ring recess in the case and bolted the hose back in. Now I think I'll wait for it to dry, and put the oil back in it in the morning, and MAYBE by tomorrow night I can move on to more pleasing things like carb sync and bolting on the new red bodywork.
Thanks for all your help guys! BTW, this is a very complete restoration I have going on, but I have to sell it when it's finished to square some old problems with our fine friends at the IRS. I'll probably put it on E-bay, but if anyone's interested......
I promise it won't leak..... :oops:

big al
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by big al »

SUCCESS!!!!! Put Yamabond 4 in the recess, installed the hose immediately, and let it set up overnight. Put oil in this morning, and no more leak!!!!!
Thanks for your replies, guys!

Allan :D

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Tell us again after you ride it til its good and warm and pressure really builds up. :)
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Leaky freakin oil hose

Post by piit »

Hi, I have not measured, but for me the oil hose O-rings looks same as coming with oil filter...
Cheers,
Pete

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Re: Leaky freakin oil hose

Post by alimey4u2 »

Biggest enemy of O-ring seals is seat corrosion. They're bedded in alloy ( old alloy to boot) which means you need to look at the seating area ( wire wool is your friend) together with O-rings of correct dimensions....
ICOA # 656

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”