Problem w/ early clutch basket rebuild

bdento59
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Problem w/ early clutch basket rebuild

Post by bdento59 »

I'm in the middle of modifying my early clutch basket to eliminate the endemic clutch rattle problem, and I think I may have discovered a little problem. Currently, I have the rivets out and have started tapping the post holes to accept the buttonhead bolts for the rebuild. However, upon cleaning the basket last evening, I found something mildly disturbing. There appears to be hairline cracks extending inwards from three of the isolator posts, running in towards the center hole. The cracks are straight, ~4mm long, and don't show from the inside. Frankly, I didn't inspect the basket for cracks before I removed the rivets, so I don't know if they were there already, or if they formed as a result of my punching out the rivets. As Tom Whaley suggested in his excellent tech write-up, I placed a deep socket behind the rivet holes to support the basket while getting out the rivets, but alas I still seem to have this issue.

I'm just not sure how serious this is, because I don't have any experience with modifying this part. Have any of you ever seen this before? I don't want to sweat it if it's not a big deal, but OTOH I don't want my clutch basket to blow apart going down the road at 80mph, either. If it is an issue, I'm wondering how I could even get it repaired, if that's possible. What do you think... looking for opinions, preferably guided by experience. TIA.
Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton@verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC
We Breathe New Life into Old Bikes

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have to pass on this one. But I have spare clutch baskets, if you need one. They are all 79 types, however. If you have the later 80 style, they are different.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Given the choice I would opt for a "new" ( I wish) basket. I'm sure it could be repaired by an artisan but then there would always be that niggling doubt... :?
ICOA # 656

Dave Hansen
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Dave Hansen »

I think I would start by going to your local auto parts place and get a dye penetrant crack detection kit. Most automotive machine shops can check it for you if you don't want to try it yourself. If you have any doubt if its cracked get another one, not worth the risk.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”