modern CBX engine

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I think George was thinking to turn down the journal eccentrically (is that a word?) "on the inside" thus effectivley relocating the center of the journal. It would have the effect he is describing. Downside would be the substantially smaller diameter of the journal.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Modern CBX Engine

Post by Larry Zimmer »

As I recall, Porsche engines, and similar, use a shroud and forced air [fan driven] for the cooling. Unfortunately, that would be a bit bulky to package in an X; or, just about any bike, for effective cooling. The significant issue with air is it takes a much greater volume than liquid to remove the same amount of heat.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Modern CBX Engine

Post by EMS »

Larry Zimmer wrote:As I recall, Porsche engines, and similar, use a shroud and forced air [fan driven] for the cooling. Unfortunately, that would be a bit bulky to package in an X; or, just about any bike, for effective cooling. The significant issue with air is it takes a much greater volume than liquid to remove the same amount of heat.
With a flat six in the rear of a car, you have no other choice but using a fan to get air past the motor. Many liquid cooled bikes have a radiator and a fan. Can't see that this is less bulky.
How do you compare the volume of air with that of a liquid?
The temperature differential of the cooling agent and the engine also comes into play. As air is the final medium for the heat exchange - the radiator is cooled with air - the temperature differential in a liquid cooled system is less than in an air cooled system.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

bdento59 wrote:
Rick Pope wrote:Or, for the cost of sleeving the six holes, and buying a set of pistons, you can leave your CBX stock, and buy a faster, and reliable, motorcycle. :D
Jeez, what fun would that be... :sleep:
Lots-o-fun, because now you would have another bike, plus the original CBX. That's why I got the Blackbird, and believe me, you'd have to spend a lot of money to make a CBX approach that power, and then it would be unreliable.

That said, there are some modified bikes in my garage.......
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

bdento59
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Modern CBX Engine

Post by bdento59 »

EMS wrote:1) How do you compare the volume of air with that of a liquid? 2) The temperature differential of the cooling agent and the engine also comes into play. 3) As air is the final medium for the heat exchange - the radiator is cooled with air - the temperature differential in a liquid cooled system is less than in an air cooled system.
1) By comparing the heat capacity per unit volume. 2) That's true, but in the case of an air cooled engine, a large delta is a disadvantage, because what you're really trying to achieve is a constant running temperature. This is when the very high heat capacity of a liquid like water is a real advantage, becauase it has a huge buffering effect on the overall temperature control of the engine. 3) True, but it is the vast heat capacity reserves in the liquid that allows the temperature of the engine to remain relatively constant over a wide range of loads, air:fuel ratios, and ambient temperatures.
Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton@verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC
We Breathe New Life into Old Bikes

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”