Loose Sprocket

Beachy
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Loose Sprocket

Post by Beachy »

Newby here from East Sussex, UK. Compliments to all contributers for such an imformitive site.

Whilst changing the drive chain on my 1978 Z I noticed the front sprocket was loose on its slines. The bolt was tight but the projection of the drive shaft is slightly wider than the sprocket thickness. As a result the large wash does not touch the sprocket by about 20 thou. Thats enough to make it move from side to side and has plenty of play between the sprocket and shaft spines. Sprocket has 15 teeth and appears standard to me.

Does not sit comfortably with me. Anyone had simmilar problem? I have ordered a new sproket but if that is the same width I will have to get a large washer as a packer so it thightens on the shoulder of the drive shaft.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Interesting. Never heard of that. There is a sleeve on the countershaft, which is part of the outermost gear assy. Hopefully, nobody has tempered with that in the past. You may want to make sure, the sprocket doesn't touch the seal.

Beachy

Post by Beachy »

No worries it is sorted. Got a replacement socket, it is slightly thicker than the one fitted so it tightens up correctly. Some numpty had fitted the wrong one.

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Some numpty had fitted the wrong one.
Numpty? Sounds like something I most likely have been, probably am, and will try not to be again :lol:

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”