Oil Temperature Dipstick

bdento59
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Oil Temperature Dipstick

Post by bdento59 »

FYI, I found an outfit in UK that sells oil temp dipsticks (see http://www.getgeared.co.uk/moto-detail_ ... auge_No_06 ). Looks like #6 and #19 both have the correct thread dia and pitch (24mm x 3mm). Only difference is length; #6 is 78mm (3") long and #19 is 103mm (4") long. There's oil in my bike right now, so I can't tell for certain if the longer one will contact anything, or if it will clear. The shorter one (#6) will definitely fit, although I'm, not sure if it will be submerged during engine operation. Stock dipstick is ~63mm. Near bottom right of screen, click button marked "check dimensions" to see a pdf file with all available dipsticks. Bad news for stateside mates like me, no shipment to USA. Might be a viable alternative to an oil temp gauge on the dash... thought I'd share.
Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton@verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC
We Breathe New Life into Old Bikes

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

These are on ebay all the time for a variety of different bikes including the CBX.

David Davenport
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

oil temp dipstick

Post by David Davenport »

Bill....picked up an oil temp dipstick #10034306 (78mm long) from Get Geared ...works fine. Quality piece and nice addition/safety feature for the 79x. Thanks for your earlier research!

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Oil Temperature Dipstick

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

bdento59 wrote:FYI, I found an outfit in UK that sells oil temp dipsticks (see http://www.getgeared.co.uk/moto-detail_ ... auge_No_06 ). Looks like #6 and #19 both have the correct thread dia and pitch (24mm x 3mm). Only difference is length; #6 is 78mm (3") long and #19 is 103mm (4") long. There's oil in my bike right now, so I can't tell for certain if the longer one will contact anything, or if it will clear. The shorter one (#6) will definitely fit, although I'm, not sure if it will be submerged during engine operation. Stock dipstick is ~63mm. Near bottom right of screen, click button marked "check dimensions" to see a pdf file with all available dipsticks. Bad news for stateside mates like me, no shipment to USA. Might be a viable alternative to an oil temp gauge on the dash... thought I'd share.
Hi Bill

You will probably know when your CBX is too hot without confirmation from an oil temp dipstick. 100k +/- miles I put on mine it only happened one time when I got caught in a July 4th traffic jam/stop & go traffic backed up for a parade in Charlottesville, VA (104 degrees and matching humidity). You will feel engine heat like no other time, rough running, a slight pinging on acceleration and there is an associated smell that is a biggggg clue. I pulled over immediately when all this started, parked the CBX, had a tall ice water drink....and enjoyed the parade. Hour or so later I was on my way.

After this I always wondered about going to Daytona bike week and riding in the stop and go traffic there on a CBX in the heat, but no one that I recall ever mentioned this as being a problem. 30 years on a CBX and with many other owners during this time I dont recall alot of discussion CBXs overheating either........other than my case.

>>>>>>

A more proactive path to consider is mounting an Earles or other larger capacity oil cooler. From what I recall hearing here and at rallies is this does lower the oil temp and should makes the need of a temp dipstick and reading it to catch pending overheating redundant. CBX roadracers use these larger capacity oil coolers. You will see alot of the period big bore road race bikes at Vintage Days with larger capacity oil coolers... and there will be plenty of time to talk to the owners/riders about this. There might be even some buys on used ones.

Ofcourse you could buy the dipstick/temp guage and a larger capacity oil cooler both..........up to you ofcourse.

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

bdento59
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

oil temp

Post by bdento59 »

Since I wrote my original post 9 months ago, I've decided to go with an oil temp gauge instead. It will live where the voltmeter currently roosts. I'm having TASClassic motorsports wotk on a custom oil galley plug that will accept a std temp sending unit for an electric 2 1/16' gauge. After they finish up the project, they will likely be selling kits on e-aby smilar to the ones there now for oil pressure gauges. Just an FYI.
Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton@verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: oil temp

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

bdento59 wrote:Since I wrote my original post 9 months ago, I've decided to go with an oil temp gauge instead. It will live where the voltmeter currently roosts. I'm having TASClassic motorsports wotk on a custom oil galley plug that will accept a std temp sending unit for an electric 2 1/16' gauge. After they finish up the project, they will likely be selling kits on e-aby smilar to the ones there now for oil pressure gauges. Just an FYI.
Didnt notice the date

You going to VA
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

bdento59 wrote:Since I wrote my original post 9 months ago, I've decided to go with an oil temp gauge instead. It will live where the voltmeter currently roosts
That's what I did with mine

3123[url]

The new electronic voltmeter display is the white dot in the unused square next to the blue high beam indicator - It flashes and turns 3 different colors depending on the system voltage . . . . a steady green when the voltage is correct

It requires a little custom surgery to get the temp gauge mounted there but it's well worth the effort - The new gauge is deeper than the old voltmeter and it just barely fits . . . . getting the lighting to match up is a bit of a challenge as well

I've seen temps in the 260 range when stuck in 1st gear traffic with the stock oil cooler . . . . and it wasn't even on a particularly warm day
my Earl's 10 row cooler is going on next week . . . . in time for Radford

The sender is in a gallery plug (thanks George!) on the right side

Don

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Great stuff... 8)
ICOA # 656

bdento59
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bdento59 »

Mike Barone #123 wrote:You going to VA
No, I have to work.
Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton@verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Work. :roll: The Crabgrass in the Lawn of Life!

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”