clutch basket upgrade

bdento59
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

clutch basket upgrade

Post by bdento59 »

I've done a little research and I'm trying to weigh my options (if there are any) on how to eliminate the clutch basket rattle on my '80 X. I've read Steve Holme's article in the CBXpress (Late Model Clutches in Early Model CBX's... The Rest of the Story, Holmes, S.; Fall 2005, CBXpress, Vol 25, #2, p4-5), so I'm aware of the difference in the thickness of the outer guide boss in the clutch outers late vs early, and also the dimensional differences between late and early style outer guides. I've also researched and compared current parts lineups and availability online for both 1980 (early) and 1982 (late) clutch assemblies. For late model clutches, both the clutch outer and the clutch outer guide are NLA. For early model clutches, the guide is NLA, but the clutch outer still appears to be available. The interesting thing is that the original P/N 22100-422-020 for the 79-80 clutch outer has been superceded by P/N 22100-MA2-P00. I'm wondering if this updated part is a "new and improved" version of the outer basket that incorporates springs, rather than rubber plug style damping? I'm also wondering if this P/N (which is the ONLY one still available) is to be used in all year CB-X's moviong forward, which would (sort of) explain why the "older" style clutch outer is still available, while the "newer" style clutch outer (with an originally superior design) is NLA. Does anyone know what the differences are between the original and new P/N's for the early clutch outer? Is there perhaps a svc bulletin that details this change in P/N and (hopefully) updated design of the old style outer basket? Any help would be appreciated. Now that my X is running like it should, I'd really like to eliminate this annoying clutch rattle. TIA.
Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton@verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC
We Breathe New Life into Old Bikes

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

Just a 'heads up'

'Rocketman' on CBX World rebuilds '79 and '80 clutch baskets using isolators he designed and molds himself - Costs about $100 and he has a pretty quick turnaround

Everything I've read says they work very well

Don

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Yeah, I like Tom. Too bad he doesn't visit here. :( :?
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: clutch basket upgrade

Post by EMS »

bdento59 wrote: The interesting thing is that the original P/N 22100-422-020 for the 79-80 clutch outer has been superceded by P/N 22100-MA2-P00. I'm wondering if this updated part is a "new and improved" version of the outer basket that incorporates springs, rather than rubber plug style damping? I'm also wondering if this P/N (which is the ONLY one still available) is to be used in all year CB-X's moviong forward, which would (sort of) explain why the "older" style clutch outer is still available, while the "newer" style clutch outer (with an originally superior design) is NLA. Does anyone know what the differences are between the original and new P/N's for the early clutch outer? Is there perhaps a svc bulletin that details this change in P/N and (hopefully) updated design of the old style outer basket? Any help would be appreciated. Now that my X is running like it should, I'd really like to eliminate this annoying clutch rattle. TIA.
The MA2 outer basket is the part for the Prolink (81/82) bikes. I am not sure why you have P00 instead of 000, but it should make no difference to the part. It does have torsion springs instead of rubber dampers, which are the main reason it has less clutch rattle if any. There was an interim outer clutch basket change on the 1980s. They had a different amount of rivets and they did not have the three kidney shaped holes where the rubber dampers sat. The only things you need to upgrade your early model clutch are the outer basket and the guide 22116-MA2-000. Both parts are available used, albeit expensive.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”