OIL PRESSURE / TEMPERATURE

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

Sure - The oil exiting the cooler would be coldest . . . . I was speaking of the oil actually in the engine

I went for a 165 mile ride today in temps of 68 to 72 and learned a bit more. The baseline oil temp at those temperatures was 220 - Never saw it colder than that. It heats up very quickly in 'round town situations. Miss a couple of lights and you're at 250. The stock cooler doesn't make much difference below 30 MPH or so. Get it heated up to 250 and it's not going to go back down at all until you can get out of traffic and run faster than 30

As George mentioned, high speed running heats it up too. I did one 10 mile stretch at 80 MPH and it warmed up over the baseline by about 10 degrees and never went down until I slowed down. I'm pretty sure 90 MPH would make it even hotter

One ride on a 90 degree day will probably be all it takes for me to put the bigger cooler on. Everything I've read says it cools 4X better than the stock cooler. Little doubt in my mind that it will make a big difference in how long my oil lasts . . . . and what kinds of situations it will take to overheat the engine. Mine starts running really poorly when it gets too warm. The first time I did it, I would have sworn I was running out of gas - It acts the same way, missing on 1 or 2 cylinders and worse as it gets hotter. When it happened, I switched to reserve and took a turn away from traffic where I could run 40 or 50 and within a mile, it was running as normal again and I was a long way from being low on gas

BTW - For anyone looking for an oil cooler, I bought a black 10 row Earls from Amazon.Com of all places for $72 and change with free shipping. I bought the rest of the pieces from John and highly recommend his 'kit' . . . . he's really done some engineering on all the bits and pieces you'll need for a professional installation

Don

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Good info Don thanks.... 8)
ICOA # 656

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

Before big coolers I've gotten stuck in traffic. After a bit the bike starts running real bad. Stalled it and when I went to restart it, it would turn over like the battery was real low. Wait for 15 minutes and it would start right up. What it was the pistons had expanded from the heat to where they just didn't want to go up and down in the cylinders. That was with stock pistons and synthetic oil. After that if I got stuck in traffic I would either ride down the shoulder or park it until I got big coolers.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”