stiff clutch

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

stiff clutch

Post by DevonCbx »

I noticed after a long ride the bike seemed very low on oil. The clutch started acting up almost stalling the bike in neutral. It was also very clatterly sounding. After the bike cooled down the next day the clutch seemed ok. Should the clutch lever be more stiff when the engine is cool? When the oil is warmed up should the cltch lever be less stiff?

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Its more likely that the oil is superheated not low. Dino oil (non synthetic) has a lower capacity to cool the motor on hot days or after a hard run and then trying to ride slowly with lots of stops and clutch operation. I rode to Hollister one day during their rally and its about 55 miles from here, all freeway. It was early July and HOT out and when I got to town and started the slow roll down main street with all the other bikes, my 79 overheated and nearly caused me to pull over and shut down. Clutch didn't seem to want to work and shifting was a problem. It also rattled heavily down low. After cooling off everything was fine. Never experienced that in the 82 and Amsoil synthetic is probably why. They love a cool day and have to breathe to survive. Riding slowly, especially after a hard run or just a long hot run, is not their forte.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I do not want to start another oil debate mainly beacause i do not know enough about it, BUT my bikes have had less clutch chattering/difficult shifting with the full synthetic oil installed.
Especially, when hot.
It sounds like you are getting lots of riding in, Duane.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Re: stiff clutch

Post by alimey4u2 »

DevonCbx wrote:I noticed after a long ride the bike seemed very low on oil. The clutch started acting up almost stalling the bike in neutral. It was also very clatterly sounding. After the bike cooled down the next day the clutch seemed ok. Should the clutch lever be more stiff when the engine is cool? When the oil is warmed up should the cltch lever be less stiff?

Clutch dragging in neutral "may" be caused by incorrect cable adjustment but I'm wondering if the clutch is slipping causing your plates to overheat ?? The "feel" of the clutch through the lever shouldn't vary unless you are riding in very cold weather where the cable sheath itself gets stiff.
ICOA # 656

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”