Oil use

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Oil use

Post by DevonCbx »

I noticed that about every 2 to 300 kms I may be using a half a liter of oil. Is this normal? I believe the motor has about 50 t0 60 thousand kms on it? Also every once in awhile I will red line it through each gear. I understand that this should not harm the bike?

Thanks
Duane

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Correct, high revs don't harm the motor. My 79 uses a bit of oil as well and has nearly 50,000 miles on it. The left front top corner where the head seals to the barrel leaks a bit also. Until the power goes down or I start smoking, I'm not worried about it. I've heard that the early Z models had rings that hugged the pistons more than they scraped the cylinder walls and the valve guides can't be in very good shape after 50,000 either. But, until she slows down or begins smoking, I'm riding! Taking the 79 out for a ride tomorrow as a matter of fact. Got her all cleaned up and the weather's nice so off I go. 8) :D

Last edited by ICOA WebTeam on Sat May 08, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cleaned up HTML for PHPBB3
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Duane, Just make sure your oil level is correct & not too high else you will be recycling oil as an upper cylinder lubricant. IE. It may be blown into your airbox from the crank case vent....
ICOA # 656

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

alimey4u2 wrote:Duane, Just make sure your oil level is correct & not too high else you will be recycling oil as an upper cylinder lubricant
Good point

When you check the oil, are you screwing the dipstick in . . . . or not?

Don

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”