GRINDING NOISE

merv 1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

GRINDING NOISE

Post by merv 1 »

Hi everyone, took my 79 Z out friday afternoon for its first ride of the year. Eveything was going fine until the bike started making a horrible grinding noise at low revs. It isnt all the time and seems to happen more when pulling away from junctions over taking cars etc. On a 40 mile run it happened about 5 times. The noise seems to be coming from the top end, but is hard to tell when riding ! Started it up this morning ran it for 10 mins not a peep. When it makes the noise it lasts for about 5 seconds and does not affect performance. Any ideas? When it happens it is loud. :cry:

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Could it be coming from the left side? Maybe the alternator?
The plates can make a grinding noise when a bearing start to go south. It can also make a racket when the brushes need replacing or the spring gets sacked.

merv 1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by merv 1 »

Hi Steve,just been out for a gentle ride of about 15 miles. It made the noise again about 3 or 4 times, i was trying to find out where it was coming from with no luck. If it was something serious in the motor woudnt it make the noise all the time? Sods law it has only done it once when pulled over with no helmet on. Because it only lasts for 5 seconds or so coudnt tell where its coming from. The bike starts first time and appears to be charging ok.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Merv could it be the rev counter bearing ? The alternator clutch "chatter" is normally on acceleration from stop or idle.. ?
ICOA # 656

merv 1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by merv 1 »

Hi Larry nice to speak to you again ! Disconected the tacho cable still doing it. It is so infrequent i cant tell where the noise is coming from. I was doing about 70 75 braked and changed down to turn right and as soon as i opened the throttle again there it was :(

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Merv, the chatter/chirping/grinding noise from the alternator plates and/or bearing usually only happen under low rev load or at idle like Larry said.
Have you had any charging problems?
I ALWAYS go for the simple fixes first. I am sure the braintrust here will have more places to look.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Merv, Check the alternator cover for excessive heat around the center bearing area, pull the alternator off & have a look at the clutch plates. If there is evidence of "galling"( looks like serrated radial marks) that may be the problem...
As discused over the phone, these intermittent probs are the hardest to find....
Keep us updated, as Steve said, look for the silly easy things first & get them out of the equation.. Then, drop the sump plate & look for fragments..copper/ zinc, aluminium, steel or rubber, as the noise is intermittent & power isn't compromised, it kind of leads away from catastrophic problems...
ICOA # 656

merv 1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by merv 1 »

Thanks to everyone that has taken the time to reply. Going to take the alt. off monday, no problems charging as far as i can see. The volt meter stays on 12 volts for about 5 mins after starting then goes up to 14 dont know if this is normal. Cant take the alt off today as wifey has plans for me !! :(

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Enjoy your day with the Family Merv... :cheers:
ICOA # 656

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

When you remove the alternator, spin it by hand. If there is ANY roughness or resistance, replace the bearings and seal. It's a simple job, just be careful not to break the brush holder.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

merv 1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by merv 1 »

Thanks Rick will be having a look monday morning, will let you know.

merv 1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by merv 1 »

Hi its fixed !! :banana: Guys you were right it was the alternator. Just as Larry said there was serrated radial marks on both plates. I swapped them for ones off my restoration bike and now it runs fine. Can i get the serrated plates machined or are they still available from honda? Thanks guys, Larry gonna buy you a drink or two at the rally. :cheers:

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Its been a few years but I got new ones from my Honda dealer.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

merv 1 wrote:Hi its fixed !! :banana: Guys you were right it was the alternator. Just as Larry said there was serrated radial marks on both plates. I swapped them for ones off my restoration bike and now it runs fine. Can i get the serrated plates machined or are they still available from honda? Thanks guys, Larry gonna buy you a drink or two at the rally. :cheers:
Glad I could help Merv but it was a system of elimination by a group/ team effort..... :thumupp:

I'm sure they are available Merv, try Honda or David Silver or Louis. If a problem getting them give me a call....
I'm not too sure about machining as there are oil slinger slots, if you did you would have to take up the spring tension with washers, I'm sure someone will advise further....
ICOA # 656

CBXRoger
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXRoger »

A friend said he could turn mine on his lathe. The tool could not cut it. It was too hard. I bought a new set from Honda.
Freeways are boring. Back roads have character.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”