clanging sound

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

clanging sound

Post by DevonCbx »

Though my CBX seems to run fine, there is a clanging sound coming from the right side. I heard that this may be normal. Is there a way to minimize this sound. This clanging is slight during idling.
Thanks
Duane

CBXRoger
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Early Or Late Model?

Post by CBXRoger »

If it is an early model, it is probably the clutch basket. Changes in the late model eliminated the problem. Regardless, it is not broken.

Roger
Freeways are boring. Back roads have character.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Duane, if its only on idle it could be the common clutch basket rattle. The most effective "fix" is to ensure the carbs are properly synchronised.
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

See whether it changes when you pull the clutch :!:

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

EMS, would you please tell more about your thoughts if sound changes when pull the clutch!
Mine rattle only slightly in idle (I have repaired clutch basket installed) and do not rattle at all when pull the clutch. Just wondering that the basket cannot be the guilty one?!

Yes, before the clutch basket repairing it rattled always a bit.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The reason I said to check if it changes when you pull the clutch was to confirm that the rattle was originated by the clutch basket.
When you pull the clutch, the transmission main shaft should stop rotating and the total rotating mass should decrease, thus the rattle change. My personal experience is, that Prolink clutches do not rattle or rattle so little that is is barely audible.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

True enough. My 79 has a rattle that diminishes when the clutch is pulled in. Never a problem on the 82.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

Thanks EMS. I have had also prolink clutch basket installed and need to say that a repaired early model and prolink basket sound similar.
But during this summer I will try to install back the prolink basket, because in last winter when I replaced prolink basket by repaired early model basket I installed also dyna-s ignition (with a new ignition bike runs "better"). The idle rattle is so low now with warm engine that people who hear the CBX idle first time do not put even attention on it (rattle). Anyway want to compare prolink and repaired early model possible basket differences from idle rattle point of view...and have a peace in my little head :lol:

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”