too much oil

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

too much oil

Post by DevonCbx »

After warming the bike up I checked the oil level while the bike was on its centre stand. The oil was very low so I topped it up. What would happen if there is too much oil? Also it says to check the oil without turning the dip stick back in positon. When I checked my oil, I noticed that one side of the dip stick shows a higher level than the other side. I may have had too much oil in the crank. I noticed when I geared down, I saw puffs of smoke. This did not happen before I topped off the oil. Another words, does this cause damage if there is perhaps too much oil? :?:

Thanks

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Damage depends on how much oil you put in. Normally what happens is you start pumping oil into the air box via the crankcase vent & that recycles into your combustion chamber. You may notice a puff of black smoke when you goose it... :wink:
Too much oil can also blow the seals/gaskets & reduce horsepower but in reality the engine "may" not take that much.... Best to drain it to the correct level Duane.
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Too much oil will also cause the crank to splash into the oil and cause it to foam.

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: too much oil

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

DevonCbx wrote:After warming the bike up I checked the oil level while the bike was on its centre stand. The oil was very low so I topped it up. What would happen if there is too much oil? Also it says to check the oil without turning the dip stick back in positon. When I checked my oil, I noticed that one side of the dip stick shows a higher level than the other side. I may have had too much oil in the crank. I noticed when I geared down, I saw puffs of smoke. This did not happen before I topped off the oil. Another words, does this cause damage if there is perhaps too much oil? :?:

Thanks
Counter view here, but I always had to overfill the oil on my CBX high mileage motor to make sure it through a days rally sport rides in the WV twisties without getting the oil level too low. Never noticed any issues in doing this. Actually, when I did overfill the oil... the Dawgie seemed to shift a bit better and was quieter.

No need you say to do this ...maybe for you and your CBX this is true, but for me going on reserve and through nearly a quart of oil in 60 miles on the rally sport rides was not unusual before I started using Mobil 1...so over filling the oil seemed like a good precaution at the time ......and still does for track days or sport rides for CBX motors that do go through oil at high rpm for extended periods.

I will leave it to others to advise you on the engine smoking on downshifts being caused by an oil overfill which I doubt, but my 80 would do this this same thing all the time until I switched to Mobil 1 15-50 car oil in the mid 80s and this cut my oil consumption quite a bit and almost eliminated smoking at speed in the twisties on deacceleration setting up for turns and accelerating out of turns. Better shifting also. You might try this next oil change to see if this helps your X

Here is a video link to what my motor looked like when the cylinder was taken off by Dave McMunn the first time at 100k miles. Good testimony for Mobil 1 car oil I would say!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_u-D4vfUjw

All of us that offer suggestion are here to help you, but finding out what happened when you tried things recommended is a great value to all CBXers that might read this in the future and actually forever.....so please let us know how all this turns out.

Best

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”