what it needs to modify the oil pump?

cbxturbo

what it needs to modify the oil pump?

Post by cbxturbo »

Can anyone advice how to modify the oil pump for more psi?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Oil Pressure

Post by EMS »

"Normally" the oil pressure out of a pump is determined by the spring load of a check valve on the pump outlet side. Replacing the spring with a stiffer one may increase the pressure. Caution, though! The drawback is, you need more pressure to produce initial flow. In any case, a pump never produces "pressure". It produces "flow". Mr. Bernoulli then takes this flow and makes pressure using available port and line diameters.

To increase pressure in a given operating system, you would have to increase the pump displacement, i.e. making it larger. This increased flow in your given passages, will increase the pressure. As this is vital for good engine health, I would not tamper with it in my garage. Have somebody who has some experience with engine modification work on it. What's the concern, anyway? Maybe a higher weight oil helps?

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

oil pressure.......

Post by sr71cbx »

-----EMS was right on the money pertaining to the theory of pumps producing flow,not pressure,the other half of that is that pressure is RESISTANCE to flow.This is where the Bernoulli principle comes into play,as described in the last post.The CBX's oil pump can have the pressure raised thru shimming the spring or installing a slightly heavier one with the same free length,this will raise pressure up about 10-20 psi or so.I concur with EMS also that a larger pump would have to be made to increase FLOW. 8) The pressure relief valve in the pump is a good example of resistance to flow,it is set to relieve pressure back to the sump at a predetermined pressure(spring tension)so as not to damage a given system due to excess pressure(gaskets blowing,o-rings leaking,blowing apart oil lines,etc.,usually seen with hydraulic systems on heavy equipment).Confused yet? :) Don't forget about pump RPM too....this will have an effect on flow to a point.

The standard CBX pump has plenty enough volume to handle the engine's needs,just use a good engine oil(I prefer synthetics myself,let's not get into that thread again!!)and keep it changed,especially with a turbo installed.CBX's seem to like a 20W-50 oil for all-around usage but a 10W-40 oil would work nicely for drag racing & such,keeps the viscous friction down(drag from thickness of oil)and might make an extra pony or two in that application. :idea: 8)

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”