Engine cold weather hot weather

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Engine cold weather hot weather

Post by DevonCbx »

Being an air cooled motor, I would imagine it would run much better in cold weather verses hot weather? I just wnat to know if my bike is running the way it should. Right now I am driving in really cold weather. Once again I am learning about this bike. Off the line it seems to run fantastic, but going at about 120 KM it seems to possibly bog once in awhile. My carbs are all cleaned up and I am using fresh gas.

Thanks Duane :?:

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

The other Canadians/iens would offer the best advice along with Terry. As you see from my answer to your other post my cold weather riding is limited... :oops:
ICOA # 656

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

Hi, I run yesterday in temp +3 celcius. I was testing just installed 6-1 Kerker...hrrr it was cold, but nice again after winter :lol:
Generally when driving in autumn (~+10 C) after warm summer season in my opinion bike has more power, but feeling difference you need to give high rpms (red line) with all gears. Anyway I cannot remember any negative aspect when driving in more colder weather like +5 C.

About Kerker 6-1 exhaust it start to works after 5500-6000rpm. So if comparing to the original 6-2 pipes the Kerker 6-1 performance is far away of those (at least with low/middle rpms).
I run yesterday 6-1 pipe with and without muffler and without muffler performance was better, but quite noisy. At the present I am running with stock air box+filter and jets and will do that also in future with stock pipes. By changing those I believe 6-1 pipe would works better.

Duane wrote that after 120km/h his bike feels like a bog. In my opinion CBX engine is excellent after 100km/h, 195km reached very quickly. Did you check/adjust your accelator pump during carbs cleaning? Also basic things like running with all cylinder, valves, ignition, exhaust, air filter, jet sizes etc. are those checked? Definitely your X is not running as expected. Imazine now how 11 sec. bike can be slow measuremed by however???!!! -piit

EDITED:
Just came to mind that have you checked that throttle valves are open properly. Check also that choke is not on or partly on. I would do these carb checks at the first thing in your position (check these from both 3xcarb blocks separately)!
Br. -piit

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

Hi, sorry my typo above. I should wrote Laser 6-1 exhaust not Kerker 6-1 :(
I do not know why I wrote Kerker 6-1...or maybe because I would like to have Kerker 6-2! Please, let me know if you have extra ones!
Br. -piit

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Never mind the typo piit, an excellent post...... 8)
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Any internal combustion motor runs slightly better in colder ambient temperatures. The air is denser at lower temps, which makes for a better charge. Air cooled engines are a little more affected, as the cold air also lowers operating temperatures directly. That's why drag racers cool the engines down between runs with cold water.

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Phil »

The zx12 and zx14 simply love cold weather but the cbx (stock) seems to lean when it is cold out.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”