Proper procedure for Valve Cover Removal

longuito
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Proper procedure for Valve Cover Removal

Post by longuito »

Hi Guys,

I looked for this topic in case it has already been posted, and so far I didn;t see anything. Nonetheless, I am a newbie (just joined today! :oops: ), although I have had my 79' for a little under a year.

I decided that I would re-paint the worn-out or rusted pieces such as the alternator cover, oil filter housing, oil filler spout and the oil cooler hose covers, since they are pretty easy to take apart. While I am at it, I decided I may as well do the valve cover, but it seems to be stuck really tight.

I have loosened all of the bolts, undone the tach drive, and now I am stuck, because I don't know if I should pry it open with a screwdriver or how I should do it.

Any tips or cautions would be much appreciated. I consider myself pretty proficient in term so doing things myself, and actually enjoy it, and usually do things even if I am not sure how to. However, I don't want to risk damaging the head or the cover. Thanks in advance 8)

Luigi

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

You not only need to remove the tach cable, but also take the tach drive gear out of the top of the cover before you try to remove the cover itself - Otherwise, things could get 'expensive'. Also, it's a good idea to remove the #1 and #6 sparkpulgs

After that, a few taps with a rubber mallet should pop it loose

Don

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Somebody may have used an additional sealant on the cover that makes it stick. The major things you have observed already, like the tach drive removal!
Take a rubber mallet and tap the valve cover on the corners. It should come off. I would not pry with anything sharp between the sealing surfaces.

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

valve cover

Post by DevonCbx »

I believe also that slight tapping with a mallot would work. I know I used this method on cars :lol:

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Welcome to the site & club longuito...... :thumupp:
ICOA # 656

bobber
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber »

Don't forget cam end caps.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”