top end power

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

top end power

Post by DevonCbx »

I took my CBX out for a spin on Sunday. It ran like a charm around town at about 40 to 60 KMs. an hour. When I took it out on the hi way, in 5th gear I cracked it open to about 6000 RPM. I found it was somewhat under power. Though I have not drivin this type of bike. I really didn't want to speed but I wanted to see what it can do for a moment :? . It seemed like I was not going to get much over 100KMS an hour. I was going with the flow of traffic due to the fact that I have to replace my speedo.
Thanks

Duane

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Something isn't right but what? Either one of my Xs will run in triple digits (mph) all day without complaint and should spin up to and even past redline with ease. They do love a cool day though. A properly tuned stock CBX is capable of running the quarter in 11-12 seconds and should top out around 130-140 or so, depending...Jetting? Cam timing? Ignition? Somebody help Duane! He's getting the wrong impression of the CBX experience. :( :wink: :lol:
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Duane, It depends what bikes you have ridden before. If it is based on modern Japanese sports bikes the CBX may "seem" a little slow.. Terry's data is correct...
Are you running with fresh fuel in clean carbs ?? You're not riding on icy roads Daune, are you ??... :lol:
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

:? :? Hard to say. Duane may have a tuning problem. Or his impression is based on the comparison with other, more modern bikes, like Larry said.
The roll-on performance in 5th gear from 6000 rpm on may not be what he is used to in, let's say, a fuel injected liter class bike. More investigation may be necessary. Maybe a comparison during the UK CBX rallye :?: :idea:

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”